Sunday, August 1, 2010

Penne with Gorgonzola Sauce

Since all the kitchen cabinet doors are still with the painter, I decided to do a serious cleanout and inventory of the cabinets. Some items were easy to let go of. Eight miniature muffin tins, each holding twelve muffins is a bit excessive. I don't even have a recipe that makes 96 muffins. Four tins will serve us nicely, four tins-out. One badly warped cookie sheet--out. Three disposable aluminum pie plates--out. The charlotte mold that I use once a year--in. There's lots more that I won't bore you with. If, however, you live anywhere near Goodwill in my area, you might want to head over tomorrow afternoon.

We're enjoying cooler temperatures and low humidity of late. I gave thought to a tasty and long-cooking stew but settled for a dish that allowed for a bit of a refrigerator clean out. Andrew was unable to resist a great hunk of gorgonzola cheese at Costco a few days ago. While the texture was a bit drier than I like in this deeply veined Italian blue cheese, I thought it would work nicely in this dish and I wasn't disappointed.




PENNE AL GORGONZOLA

6 oz gorgonzola
1/3 cup whole milk
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 pound penne pasta


In a fairly shallow pan, large enough to eventually hold all the pasta, put in the cheese, milk, and butter. Turn on the heat to low. Mash the gorgonzola with a spoon and stir to incorporate it into the milk and butter. Cook for about 1 minute until of a dense, creamy consistency. Turn off the heat and set aside.

Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain.

While the pasta is draining, turn the heat on low under the sauce and stir in the heavy cream. Add the parmesan. Add the drained pasta and toss about until well mixed with the sauce. Serve immediately, passing a bowl of grated parmesan.

Serves six.

NOTE: You can substitute half and half for the milk and heavy cream. The sauce will not be as creamy but will still be delicious.

Serve with a green salad.






26 comments:

  1. This has me drooling at 8:00 in the morning.

    Bonnie-- I think you asked a question about our house a while back, and I just realized I never really answered! It was built in 1927 and is a colonial revival-style. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not even 6:30 am here and I'm craving a huge plate of that pasta. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy recipes using blue cheese. We have a decadent local goat-gonzola that would be perfect in your pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delish to me, never heard of gorgonzola cheese, but now i have. as i have said before, I don't cook but love your blog. great story about the pans, i am the opposite of a clutter bug, and keep nothing, i throw away things that i sometimes in the future need. so this was fun for me to know you were getting rid of things ou don't use, all those goodwill shoppers will be grabbing them up Good "Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels so good to get those cupboards cleaned out. Why do I have to have 7 pie plates I ask myself. I'll never make 7 pies at once. Some things are just hard to get rid of. Others...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my - can you ever cook, Bonnie! Another amazing dish!!!

    Wishing you a lovely week,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had breakfast and you are talking about one of my fav foods--pasta! Oh boy.

    Have a great one!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could this look any cheesier or wonderful? No, no, it could not. What an awesome dish!

    P.S. I got 5 diss. pages written this weekend; considering my track record lately, that's a LOT!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Fancy: You go girl!! That dissertation can't keep a good woman down!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious! Something my husband can definitely eat...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Bonnie, that pasta dish is driving me crazy! I love gorgonzola and served it once as a pot luck kind of appetizer. Slice and toast rounds from a teeny baguette, spread with the cheese and top with a drizzle of honey. It was great!

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that looks delicious. I adore blue veined cheeses and find your recipe seriously tempting. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, this looks SOOOO good, and how easy! Your husband doesn't know how lucky he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go! I cleaned out the cabinets last month and it was wonderful moving out the things I really don't use. Your pasta dish is great and leaves me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheese and cream and pasta. Perfect. It doesn't get much better than that. Thank you for visiting my blog today. I hope you enjoy your trip to Toronto, it's a beautiful city (but I'm a bit biased, of course). :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love gorgonzola at my house- this dish would be a hit! Doesn't it feel good to clean out the cupboards? I need to do that myself.
    I did notice you were from Chicago- My son and daughter in law love it there. He's a student at Columbia College. He's also my foodie son who thinks it's terrible that I don't make my own pie crust and bread all of the time. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dish looks yummy. I'm sure my family would love it. Thanks for the recipe. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious, Bonnie... My grands would say that that is a 'fancy' Mac N Cheese.... HA... I know that it's MUCH MUCH better....

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love gorgonzola. That's a super recipe to have. It looks splendido. Thanks for stopping by to see us. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are a few of my favorite things....pasta...cheese-is there anything better in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious! However, I'm on a diet, so I didn't allow myself to stare long! Girl, you keep those muffin tins!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pasta looks delicious! Gorgonzola is such a great cheese, and making it into a sauce for the pasta sounds wonderful! so creamy and tasty! Now I have to go out and buy some Gorgonzola!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heavy Cream, pasta Gorgonzola Cheese, you really can't go wrong there. This looks wonderful! By the way what Goodwill? I am off work tomorrow :~)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie...taking inventory is tough...especially when you think that just MAYBE one day you MAY need it. Last year I had no choice to push myself to do a huge clean out. We decided to downsize in a major way and so much of my kitchenware was donated to some younger bakers at my community center ;o)

    Your pasta with gorgonzola is absolutely sinful...how delicious those ingredients sound together ;o)

    Have a fabulous day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have to try this for my husband; when we go to the restaurant he often takes that; looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.