Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Afternoon

I just couldn't stay away from blogland until Monday!!  So, here's what we did (while taking a break from studying the Canon manuals).    The images that depict our Sunday are from my old Panasonic Lumix but the new "baby" came along and, as soon as I figure out what needs to be done to transfer those photos to the Mac I'll be showing off them off.



A late brunch at one of our favorite restaurants in Chicago--The Bristol at 2152 Damen Avenue.  As you can see, the floor-to-ceiling windows are opened to the outside on this perfect weather day.



This was taken from our table and is of the building across the street.  We were offered the table at the open window but it was a little too chilly for me.  You can see The Bristol reflected in the glass of the building across the street.  I just noticed that little bit of accidental camera magic.  Click on the photo for a better look.



We shared this board of freshly baked treats:  A spiced quick bread, warm from the oven cinnamon roll, a crisp croissant and cranberry-orange biscuits.  Delicious!  Half came home for later indulgence.



How could I, a daughter of the south, pass up the fried green tomato eggs benedict?  Between the perfectly poached egg and the fried green tomato was a piece of homemade sausage.  All was topped with a very light hollandaise sauce.  It's hard to depict how delicious this was accompanied by the house potatoes.  I'm still trying to figure out how they do the potatoes.  Most of them came home with me.  I'm going to try dissecting them later--or maybe we'll just eat them.


And then it was time for a leisurely, as in bumper-to-bumper, Sunday afternoon drive on the Ryan.  

Hope you all had a great weekend!!

22 comments:

  1. I will be checking out this restaurant next Chicago visit. Thanks for sharing it.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, all you should have to do is plug the cord to your Mac, then turn on the camera. Then the little iPhoto icon will hop a bit then start doing it's magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to tell you the same thing that Elizabeth told you... It's easy as pie to get pictures... IF you have questions, email me...

    Nice looking restaurant ---but don't think I'd enjoy a bumper to bumper ride.... I've lived in a small town too long to enjoy traffic.

    Glad you had a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, it looks like you enjoying a great breakfast like I do. Thanks for sharing!

    Bonnie

    PS - I can never pass on an eggs benedict!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great day! It sounds like you had a great visit to the City.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back! And loving that food plate, wish I could taste it!! Was it hard learning the new camera? Surely you don't have the whole thing learned by now? Can't wait to see the pics! I love your restaraunt reflection in the window!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love traffic? I guess that traffic is tolerable after eating such a delicious brunch! I would have loved to had a bite of your plate...I'm a southern girl too, so your selection was perfect in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I can just taste that now! I love fried green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to live near to a LARGE city like Chicago. I am a total city slicker and thrive on all that goes along with a major city.

    As a Southern gal, I, too, LOVE fried green tomatoes!! That breakfast dish looked fabulous.

    And, yes, I am a Gator fan, but I'm also a Boise State Bronco fan since I'm currently living in Boise. (Hoping to move back to the South soon, though). However, if you are a Va. Tech fan, then you aren't real happy with my team since they upset them in the first game of the season. In fact, the game I was talking about in my post (with the orange blueberry cheesecake) was the Va Tech/BSU game.

    Have a lovely day, Bonnie.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had fried green tomato eggs benedict and it is delicious. Your breakfast looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, that fried green tomato benedict looks incredible! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. That's much more fun for brunch/breakfast than the Egg and I!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie,
    I just got the same camera!!! I had to get a special card and card reader (according to my son). I am excited. This camera is very different from my Leica which I will still use because it fits in my purse.

    We have restaurant in St. Pete, FL that makes fried green tomato eggs benedict - just yum.

    Have fun with the rebel!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had forgotten the traffic on the Dan Ryan. It's good you have a sense of humor. I'd never though about using tomatoes as the base for poached eggs. Now you got me thinking. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a fun time -- what a great idea -- fried green tomatoes benedict -- looked yummy and you'll have to share the potatoes if you can dissect them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a lovely weekend! Nothing like a Sunday afternoon drive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brunch is my very favorite meal--especially any kind of eggs Benedict! Thanks for your encouragement on my little sewing project. I may invest later in a very basic Singer like you. Good luck with your manual---they look like a foreign language to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum. I'm taking notes on your restaurant choices and passing them on to my NYC daughter who visits Chicago often. I haven't been in years...shame on me.

    Looks like you got lots of camera comments so I'll keep quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy on the treats and can hardly stand the wait to se the rebel photos

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a lovely day out and about. The food looks delicious.
    We are loving SC, moved from MI. We love to go to Charleston. It's a favorite of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Driving in Chicago traffic would be worth it for that brunch! What a great-looking place. We'll be in the city for a wedding reception at the end of October - I can't wait!

    I also can't wait to see photos from that new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Chicago--it's such a fun place to visit.
    The restaurant looks like fun.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  22. What weekend would be complete without some bumper-to-bumper traffic? :P Glad to hear you're enjoying the camera!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.