Thursday, January 6, 2011

Falling "Off the Wagon" With Chicken in Marsala

It has been very cold and windy the past few days.  I won't even tell you what the temperature has been with the wind chill factored in.  While we truly are eating lighter, we also need a stick-to-your ribs meal to help us survive.  Don't we?

The following recipe is one that we've enjoyed for more than twenty years.  I'm almost certain it came from one of Marcella Hazan's earlier cookbooks.  Classic Italian Cooking, I think.  It's quite tasty and quick to prepare.  And, the chicken is not too caloric.  It's the pasta that it needs to be served with that isn't exactly figure friendly and what caused us to "fall off the wagon".

Just throw caution to the wind and prepare:


Chicken in Marsala

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry Marsala
3 Tbsp butter

1.  In a heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.

2.  Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides and dredge in the flour.  Shake off the excess.  When the oil is quite hot, slip the chicken into the pan carefully, reduce the heat slightly and brown on both sides.  This will take about 3 to 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to a warm platter and cover.

3.  Drain off most of the fat.  Turn the heat to high and add the Marsala.  Boil briskly for about a minute, stirring to deglaze the pan.  Reduce the heat and add the butter, stirring until the sauce starts to thicken.  Return the chicken to the pan, turning to coat.  Serve immediately or turn the heat very low to hold for no more than a few minutes.  Serve with pasta, roasted potatoes or rice.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. Before I make this dish I would never thought that using just this wine would create such a tasty dish. I make it very often ever since. I love it! Yours look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe an it does sound healthy; great photo and one of our favourite ways to enjoy chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Chicken Marsala and always have a bottle of Marsala available on my shelf. Please tell me it's not too bad for us.

    This winter has really been exceptional so far. I really hope things return to normal soon. Stay warm.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just need a plate of pasta. Chicken marsala is a favorite of mine! Love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about chicken with Marsala and this looks yummy -- I'll be trying it soon -- sans pasta!! (We are trying so hard to be good and get rid of those holiday pounds!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photo looks good enough to eat. One of my favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to making a trip to find myself some Marsala. The cold weather does make a person feel the need for comfort and sustenance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken doesn't sound too fattening. It sounds pretty yummy. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mouth is watering as I type... I have not even had my coffee yet this AM and I want to cook this for breakfast...

    Goodness that looks awesome! Butter... gotta' love it.

    I will cook this tonight! We will cut some calories by using whole wheat pasta.

    I will make some herb oil dressing for the salad and munch out tonight.

    Thank you for this recipe, what's for dinner tonight for you all so I can get and idea of what we will be eating tomorrow??? HUM??????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken Marsal, Chicken Saltimbocca..these are a few of my favourite things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What better way to fall off the wagon. I loved her recipes and still use some of them. Your chicken sounds truly sublime and finger lickin' good. Enjoyed the visit :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just glistening with goodness! I have never had any, but would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM---that looks tremendous... I've had Chicken Marsala before at Olive Garden. It was wonderful --but I'll bet yours is even better.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a darn good wagon to fall off of... I love using marsala... it adds such a complex flavor to food. I have never tried this recipe.. thanks for putting it out there and great photo... looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gooooooooooooooood....do you know MArsala is a city here in Sicily??? Everytime we go there we buy a bottle of very excellent MArsala.... hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds much easier than my "pounding of the meat" to make my veal marsala--though I usually use chicken. I can't get over how short a time you cook the chicken. Probably because it sounds like its a high heat. Yum! One of my favorite meals!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great shot of it and i do love it. have not had any in a long time. i have to say again. i really really really like those oranges on the railing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chicken Marsala and this recipe sounds delicious! This would even be wonderful with a side roasted veggies and no pasta. I love Marcella's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always enjoyed this dish...especially since I now also make it with chicken thighs...very tender and better for my wallet ;o)

    Have a great day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my favorite dishes ever!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.