Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Hearty Saute of Polish Sausage and Cabbage

This rustic dish finds it's way to our table from early fall to spring.  I think it came out of the memory of a hash-like dish that my mother made with leftover pork.  Mother felt that the only cabbage worth eating was Bent Mountain cabbage and it had to be picked in early fall.  I have been known to tote back some of that cabbage from my autumn trip to Virginia.  I didn't go up the mountain to pick the dense heads   myself.  I made my purchase at the farmers' market.  The last time I brought a cabbage home it rolled out of the bag while I was driving through West Virginia on the Turnpike--that interstate where sometimes you meet yourself coming, or maybe it's going.  The one that goes up one mountain and down the other and up another.  The one with escape "run offs" for semis.  The one where no driver heeds the 70 MPH posted speed.  The cabbage rolled, bumped, bounced and clattered for what seemed like fifty miles until I could safely exit and wedge it behind a suitcase.

I really could have made the story shorter and just said that I now use Savoy cabbage.  I like it's variegated color and crinkly leaves.  Although considered to be a winter cabbage, I find it year around at the grocery store.

Polish sausage is the meat of choice these days.  There are a number of Polish grocery stores and meat markets in the Chicago area and they have excellent kielbasas.  We like the Wellshire brand because it's  all natural.

Here's how I put it together ~



Polish Sausage with Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions
For four

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
6-8 fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 pound ring of fully-cooked Polish sausage, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups of Savoy cabbage (or another of your choice) cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1.  Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2.  Add the onion and saute until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
3.  Add the potatoes and saute until they start to soften, another 4 to 5 minutes.
4.  Add the sausage and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5.  Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
6.  Add the cabbage and stir well.
7.  Add salt and pepper to taste, stir,  cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another five minutes.  Stir and check to see if the cabbage is done.  We like the cabbage to have a little crunch left.
8.  Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute.

ENJOY!

30 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I made a posting some time back showing how we were invited to participate in the Skloss' family Polish sausage-making tradition at their farm. It was quite an event! Talk about tasty sausage!
    We are growing cabbage in our church garden so maybe I'll have the chance to make your recipe. It certainly looks yummy and what I would consider a comfort food.
    Have a great day!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Cabbage with sausages!!! I'm going to try it in these days..tomorrow I'm going to buy a good cabbage...even if it won't be from Virginia (We drove through West Virginia...from Monticello..to Philadelphia...through Shanandoah NP...beautiful places!!!)...have a GREAT day, blessings, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend tells me of a good store to get the sausage, might head over there this weekend. This looks great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why have I never had cabbage and Polish sausage together??? I will give this a try, it look so good. By the way, living in E TN I can totally relate to your description of the interstates in W VA. Any road that has pull offs for out of control semi's is scary!!! We have them here.
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy and I am not a sausage kinda person but hubby is and that is all that matters.

    I have never heard of that kind of cabbage, will have to check that out at the farmers market. I know from now on when I do find it, I will think of your story "The Wandering-Wayward Cabbage".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I love the cabbage-rolling-around-coming-round-the-mountains story!! LOL! I can just hear that thing bumping around!

    We enjoy cabbage with sausage and I've never tried to add potatoes! Looking forward to trying that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just visiting
    I love cabbage, turnip greens, collard greens, musterd greens, and I love sausage of any kind. I could gain weight just looking at your photo, of this delicious dish

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dish of my childhood. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmm, my husband would like this meal...You give me so many choices to 'tell' him to cook :)

    Holly Springs is in Wake County and just SW of Raleigh. It's just a little town but growing tremendously. What use to be farm fields and little shanties is now developing into housing communities, shopping, etc...which is always good and bad.
    It's a nice community and the best things is it's less than two hours to the coast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never combined sausage with cabbage. It is a very unusual combination and I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mother and both my grand mothers cooked all things hash, just about anything that was left over could be put in the pan and made into a meal. this one looks really good to me, better than what mother did. i have ridden on that mountain you are talking about, i was in an 18 wheeler with husband, I refused to drive on it, and i said what are those little short drive ways for? say what? run off the road if your breaks give out? scared me silly. we crossed it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this kind of meal. These Eastern European-style dishes are wonderful when they are well done. Yours is well done.
    I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also collect blogs like cookbooks, I love it! I can spend hours just reading people's old posts and finding new posts. Thank you for stopping by my blog too, next Thanksgiving I am SO stocking up on canned pumpkin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ellerinize sağlık. Çok güzel görünüyor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We do a polish sausage and potatoes mix that is very similar, I like the idea of adding cabbage to the mix.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like wonderful comfort food perfect for this blast of Arctic air.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A funny cabbage story! For years and years, I made my famous cabbage soup with parmesan sprinkled on top and we ate it three times a week. I have made two different dishes that are quite similar to this, but they have some broth. I use kielbasa, though. What is the taste difference between that and polish sausage? Also, I have never tried savoy cabbage!!! It is very pretty, does it taste milder tham regular?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ginny: Polish sausage is Polska kielbasa. I should have noted that in my post.

    B
    B

    ReplyDelete
  19. This Polish Sausage and Cabbage looks really great. I definitely have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect comfort food; I have never made this before, but I know we would really enjoy it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was cracking up as I read this. I think you should write a book called, Bent Mountain Cabbage.

    You're darned lucky that errant head didn't get jammed under the gas pedal!

    Love this recipe. Now I'm heading out to Bent Mountain!

    Love across the miles,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green island

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks wonderful, you just can't go wrong with a good polish sausage and cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love cabbage, any way it's cooked and also raw. This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie, I just tried to send you an e-mail, not sure I have your right address. Would you please send me one. Thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  25. For a girl who loves cabbage, the thought of adding some good Polish sausage to this dish sounds heavenly. Thank you for sharing this deliciousness tonight. I hope you have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bonnie, this dish looks so satisfying and down home! How have you been? I've missed blogging and will probably post this weekend...crossing my fingers!

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is pretty much standard fare at my house! My husband loves it! I love your cabbage story -- I think I've been on that stretch of road a couple times!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a tasty and satisfying combination. I have eaten my share of cabbage and sausage over the years....I don't make it often because I lose all self-control in its presence - and at my age the calories don't melt off the old body like they used to - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I recently joined a local meat CSA and received some fresh Polish sausage in my latest box. Since I'm GF I didn't want to make the standard sandwich or pasta sauce, so I went on the hunt for something new. Thank God for your recipe! Just finished making it and for something so simple it's amazingly delicious. I added a lot more cabbage and malt vinegar instead of balsamic, and used the fat from the sausage to cook the onions. Yumm! The perfect winter comfort food. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.