I really could have made the story shorter and just said that I now use Savoy cabbage. I like it's variegated color and crinkly leaves. Although considered to be a winter cabbage, I find it year around at the grocery store.
Polish sausage is the meat of choice these days. There are a number of Polish grocery stores and meat markets in the Chicago area and they have excellent kielbasas. We like the Wellshire brand because it's all natural.
Here's how I put it together ~
Polish Sausage with Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions
For four
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
6-8 fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 pound ring of fully-cooked Polish sausage, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups of Savoy cabbage (or another of your choice) cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and saute until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and saute until they start to soften, another 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the sausage and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
6. Add the cabbage and stir well.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir, cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another five minutes. Stir and check to see if the cabbage is done. We like the cabbage to have a little crunch left.
8. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute.
ENJOY!
This looks delicious! I made a posting some time back showing how we were invited to participate in the Skloss' family Polish sausage-making tradition at their farm. It was quite an event! Talk about tasty sausage!
ReplyDeleteWe are growing cabbage in our church garden so maybe I'll have the chance to make your recipe. It certainly looks yummy and what I would consider a comfort food.
Have a great day!
Karen
Ladybug Creek
I really like Cabbage with sausages!!! I'm going to try it in these days..tomorrow I'm going to buy a good cabbage...even if it won't be from Virginia (We drove through West Virginia...from Monticello..to Philadelphia...through Shanandoah NP...beautiful places!!!)...have a GREAT day, blessings, Flavia
ReplyDeleteA friend tells me of a good store to get the sausage, might head over there this weekend. This looks great:@)
ReplyDeleteWhy have I never had cabbage and Polish sausage together??? I will give this a try, it look so good. By the way, living in E TN I can totally relate to your description of the interstates in W VA. Any road that has pull offs for out of control semi's is scary!!! We have them here.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Susan
This looks yummy and I am not a sausage kinda person but hubby is and that is all that matters.
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of that kind of cabbage, will have to check that out at the farmers market. I know from now on when I do find it, I will think of your story "The Wandering-Wayward Cabbage".
Bonnie, I love the cabbage-rolling-around-coming-round-the-mountains story!! LOL! I can just hear that thing bumping around!
ReplyDeleteWe enjoy cabbage with sausage and I've never tried to add potatoes! Looking forward to trying that. Thank you.
Just visiting
ReplyDeleteI love cabbage, turnip greens, collard greens, musterd greens, and I love sausage of any kind. I could gain weight just looking at your photo, of this delicious dish
A dish of my childhood. I love it!
ReplyDeleteUmmmm, my husband would like this meal...You give me so many choices to 'tell' him to cook :)
ReplyDeleteHolly Springs is in Wake County and just SW of Raleigh. It's just a little town but growing tremendously. What use to be farm fields and little shanties is now developing into housing communities, shopping, etc...which is always good and bad.
It's a nice community and the best things is it's less than two hours to the coast!!!
I have never combined sausage with cabbage. It is a very unusual combination and I would love to try it!
ReplyDeletemy mother and both my grand mothers cooked all things hash, just about anything that was left over could be put in the pan and made into a meal. this one looks really good to me, better than what mother did. i have ridden on that mountain you are talking about, i was in an 18 wheeler with husband, I refused to drive on it, and i said what are those little short drive ways for? say what? run off the road if your breaks give out? scared me silly. we crossed it twice.
ReplyDeleteI love this kind of meal. These Eastern European-style dishes are wonderful when they are well done. Yours is well done.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
I also collect blogs like cookbooks, I love it! I can spend hours just reading people's old posts and finding new posts. Thank you for stopping by my blog too, next Thanksgiving I am SO stocking up on canned pumpkin :-)
ReplyDeleteIt looks hearty and filling.
ReplyDeleteWe do a polish sausage and potatoes mix that is very similar, I like the idea of adding cabbage to the mix.
ReplyDeleteMimi
This sounds like wonderful comfort food perfect for this blast of Arctic air.
ReplyDeleteA funny cabbage story! For years and years, I made my famous cabbage soup with parmesan sprinkled on top and we ate it three times a week. I have made two different dishes that are quite similar to this, but they have some broth. I use kielbasa, though. What is the taste difference between that and polish sausage? Also, I have never tried savoy cabbage!!! It is very pretty, does it taste milder tham regular?
ReplyDeleteGinny: Polish sausage is Polska kielbasa. I should have noted that in my post.
ReplyDeleteB
B
This Polish Sausage and Cabbage looks really great. I definitely have to give this a try.
ReplyDeletePerfect comfort food; I have never made this before, but I know we would really enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteRita
I was cracking up as I read this. I think you should write a book called, Bent Mountain Cabbage.
ReplyDeleteYou're darned lucky that errant head didn't get jammed under the gas pedal!
Love this recipe. Now I'm heading out to Bent Mountain!
Love across the miles,
Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green island
Looks wonderful, you just can't go wrong with a good polish sausage and cabbage!
ReplyDeleteI love cabbage, any way it's cooked and also raw. This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks so much.
ReplyDeleteBonnie, I just tried to send you an e-mail, not sure I have your right address. Would you please send me one. Thanks:@)
ReplyDeleteFor a girl who loves cabbage, the thought of adding some good Polish sausage to this dish sounds heavenly. Thank you for sharing this deliciousness tonight. I hope you have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteHi Bonnie, this dish looks so satisfying and down home! How have you been? I've missed blogging and will probably post this weekend...crossing my fingers!
ReplyDeletexo, Bonnie
This is pretty much standard fare at my house! My husband loves it! I love your cabbage story -- I think I've been on that stretch of road a couple times!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a tasty and satisfying combination. I have eaten my share of cabbage and sausage over the years....I don't make it often because I lose all self-control in its presence - and at my age the calories don't melt off the old body like they used to - LOL.
ReplyDeleteI recently joined a local meat CSA and received some fresh Polish sausage in my latest box. Since I'm GF I didn't want to make the standard sandwich or pasta sauce, so I went on the hunt for something new. Thank God for your recipe! Just finished making it and for something so simple it's amazingly delicious. I added a lot more cabbage and malt vinegar instead of balsamic, and used the fat from the sausage to cook the onions. Yumm! The perfect winter comfort food. Thank you! :)
ReplyDelete