Monday, July 11, 2011

A Dish in Search of A Recipe

Have you ever had a dish--a seemingly simple dish--that hangs around in that part of your brain reserved for "delicious"?  A dish that you promise yourself you'll try to recreate in your own kitchen?  A dish that you will WOW your family and friends with?

Let me tell you about our dining experience at Catogna in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square.  Speaking of "square", we were not that night.  We were hip!  We were right on (um, do people still say "right on"?) with the in-crowd.  I was even a little sorry that our table was ready and we weren't invited to wait at the bar.  I wanted to watch the wood-burning oven in operation.

Catogna's Chef Michael Tusk had just been honored with the James Beard Foundation's Best Chef - Pacific award for 2011 and we came away feeling it was more than well deserved.

Catogna is rustically chic.  I found it to be as I imagine an Italian loft--more likely in Rome than Tuscany.  The noise level was high.  Everyone was having a good time.  So were we!  Our dining partners were familiar with the wait staff and a number of them dropped by our table to say hello and make recommendations.

Now for the one dish (among many that were absolutely wonderful) that is stuck in my mind.  One that I need help with a recipe.  Have any of you ever made...


....ravioli wrapped around a perfectly poached egg nestled in fresh ricotta and sitting in a pool of browned butter?


The pasta was tender and light.  The farm-fresh organic egg was poached to perfection.  The butter sauce was lightly browned when spooned onto the warmed plate.  

I noticed the lady sitting to my left eyeing my dish.  She finally leaned over and said that she and her husband had been to the restaurant a few days before and had the egg ravioli.  They couldn't get it out of their mind (yes, I can relate) and came back to have it again before it was gone from the menu.  

Any suggestions as to how I can accomplish this simple dish?  I eagerly await your input.


26 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    If you recreate it please share. If the egg was partially cooked maybe???
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw someone making it as a demo on Food Network -- you might go there and do a search. I thought it was very interesting and I can't remember how they did it but it was tricky as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the recipe form Mario Batali -- with spinach added but you can omit that:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/uova-da-raviolo-ravioli-with-an-egg-inside-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. since grilled burgers are my only specialty, i have no clue. hubby made me fried cheese for lunch yesterday and that is stuck in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ravioli wrapped around an egg! How awesome is creative and simple delicious. I have never heard of it so I don't have the recipe but I could make one up for you:) Can wait for you to find it and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely sounds like something I would try. I will be checking back with you. Kitchen Bellecious and you can firgure something out. I love new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a dish! I hope you figure out how to make it because I would love to try it. It looks absolutely delicious. I'll go to the food network and check out Martha's link. Can't wait for you to try it, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I don't. But it sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you missed out at sitting by the active bar area. Although, some people might balk at the fact of waiting at the bar while waiting to be seated at their table...I'd be enjoying the fireplace and sipping a drink as I people-watch and laser beam on the perfect dishes...such as this ravioli you describe so well...how interesting Bonnie.

    I would take a wild guess on the method to make these...however, I get the feeling that Batali may be more qualified than I. BTW...I would have probably cooked the individual ravioli in a muffin tin resting over a simmering water bath ;o) Let us know how you do.

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing something like this fairly recently, if I find it I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, that looks awesome and rich tasting. I would say a baby leaf spinach salad with a few currants sprinkled on top and a homemade poppyseed dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooops...

    Accompany this dish is what I thought I read, but I read it in haste.... not accomplish this dish (on how to create it)..... Back for another cup of coffee to see if I can get my brain cells in gear.

    I would dont think I can help you there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have no idea, Bonnie, but I'm sure you will learn to make it --just like the Chef did!!!!!! Sounds delicious though...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a mouthwatering piece of art! I think you could make it but it would be very tricky .. now I see that Martha has found a link, I think I would like it with spinach. Going to look now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, that looks wonderful. I only wish I could have tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my gosh!! Bonnie, that looks sublime. I look forward to your finding the recipe since I am hopeful you will share it with us! More. More. blessings ~ tanna
    ps I think the sweater will be perfect for Roanoke in Oct. ;) I do have to be in NY Oct. 19-23, so I'm hoping that another time will work!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious Bonnie, My mom make some similar but with spinachs and cheese an the poached egg of course is really yum too! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. No idea, sorry, but it looks amazing and sounds like such a fun time. I know if you do make this dish it will impress all your guests!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie -- you can get the books directly from Anna at reasonable prices -- my favorite is the Country Weekend Entertaining which she has just had reprinted!

    Here's the link:

    http://www.landfcookshop.com/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, how unusual. Waiting to see you post this at home. You will share, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot help you. I'm not that good of a cook! It looks amazing, though!

    San Francisco is a city I so want to visit some day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um sorry no. Looks very interesting though.
    Good Luck!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have no suggestions but I have loads of supportive cheerleading...make it soon!!! That's an incredible dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't blame you for wanting to recreate that beautiful dish! I wouldn't know where to start, but I hope you find out and share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG!!! Please figure it out because I must make and eat this soon! A friend of mine was talking about a chef friend of hers that made something similar with an egg yolk in the center of ravioli. sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.