Monday, October 15, 2012

Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup


I've had a slow cooker for decades--a gift from a dear aunt who, in later years, came to treasure one.  Mine has rarely been used.  I had two concerns.  One was leaving the cooker on when I left the house.  The other came from my sister saying the slow cooker kept foods at a temperature that allowed bacteria to grow.  Now, decades later, I've reasoned that neither concern should stop me since I haven't heard of mass accidents and/or illnesses through the years.

Somehow, baked potato soup has never appealed to me.  It has been on menus for years and I've seen many recipes.  And, I love loaded baked potatoes!!  A few weeks ago, along came Mary of One Perfect Bite with a recipe for slow cooker baked potato soup.  To know Mary is to trust Mary.  She cautioned not to taste the soup until the end and, hard as it was, I didn't (maybe I will next time).  

The soup was delicious--so good, in fact, that I felt like kicking myself for missing out on bowlfuls through years past!!  There was a bit leftover for the cook's lunch the next day and it might have been even tastier then.  Here's the recipe from Mary who got it from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker".

I halved the recipe since it was just the two of us and am giving you those proportions.  It served us twice.  Double the ingredients to serve ten to twelve or have delicious leftovers!!  I used the same cooking time as the whole recipe suggested.


Baked Potato Soup

2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup sour cream (not nonfat)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 ounces of bacon, cooked until crisp, well drained and crumbled
3 green onions, sliced or 2 Tbsp minced fresh chives

1.  Put potatoes in the slow cooker and add water to cover.  Cook on HIGH until potatoes are cooked and falling apart, about 5 hours.
2.  Turn cooker to LOW; add butter, half-and-half,  sour cream, salt and pepper.  Stir.  Cover and cook until hot, about 20 minutes.  (I pureed the soup a little with an immersion blender so that's a bit of a change but not a necessary one.)
3.  Stir in the crumbled bacon and sliced green onions or chives.

ENJOY!

25 comments:

  1. Of course I love BP soup and am grateful for this slow cooker soup. Yesterday I made chili for guests in the slow cooker all day --- and it may have been the best chili I ever made. Husband said it was because it cooked all day. I will have to try this slow cooker recipe you have shared. We have a soup party every Christmas, and it's wonderful to have some in the crock pots not to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall reading Mary's comments on this soup and I agree with you, if Mary says it is good, it is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this i would love, but i am wondering why is it called BAKED potato soup and not potato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds wonderful! I have a go to potato soup recipe, but will have to give this one a whirl too.
    Happy Day!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to use the crock pot and wish I had room to keep it out in view so I'd remember it more often. I've never used a written recipe for the crock pot and have never been disappointed in the meal it produced. Seems like whatever you throw in there just turns out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the loaded part is wha tmakes me happy thinking about this soup!Oh my- how wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds delicious! I hadn't used a crock pot in many years until recently, and love the ease of using it. This is a recipe to try! Thanks and have a great rest of the week, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie it sounds yummy! A hearty meal for a cold evening. I have a fabulous slow cooker and seldom use it. I just don't have the time in the morning to prepare everything. I would love to come home from school with dinner prepared though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a hearty potato soup! This sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always forget about my slow cooker because I keep it tucked away. I'm thinking now that it may have to become a fixture on my counter top now that cooler weather is here and soups are so good! This baked potato soup sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so strange coming by here tonight and finding a recipe for potato soup because I did a post tonight about how I have been wanting to make a good potato soup. lol
    Strange how things like this happen.
    This recipe sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hope you have been doing good. I am so behind with my blogging.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. As soon as the next cool snap hits, I'm making this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love baked potato soup!
    Mary is wonderful and I am sure that this is a yummy soup that I will try!

    M:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love potato soup!! Never made it in my crock pot though. The problem I have with my crockpot is that it tends to run too hot to leave it on all day.

    On the days my husband works from home, I'll turn it on before I leave the house, he'll turn it off around noon, then turns it back on around 4 - seems to work well for us then!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look delicious Bonnie I love soups!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love potato soup and I love cooking with a slow cooker. Will certainly give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds rib sticking good. Perfect for our chilly weather.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds sound amazing and given your testimonial it's one I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my first time to visit you and I'm hooked. It's a good thing I already ate supper or I'd be ready to hit the kitchen! This soup will be on my menu next week. Most potato soups are thick and this looks different.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You and Mary both have such lovely food blogs. And I love soups that cook in a crock pot. Glad you faced your fears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks delicious. I love potato soup, so I'm going to try this one on a cold day. Mary's blog is one of my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am just now reading this but can't wait to try it. I love potatoe soup because my granny always made it for me if I got sick.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.