Monday, April 1, 2013

A Spring Soup



We had spring for Easter.  The sun was shining and it was a bit above 50 degrees.  Lovely!  Today, winter is back.  I'm hoping it's an April Fool's prank!!  

Our dear friends gathered around the Easter table.  These same friends, two couples, have spent Christmas, New Year's Eve and Easter with us (or we with them) for at least twenty years.  Our children were, of course, a part of the festivities when they were young.  We all miss the children as they are now in other parts of the country--from California to Rhode Island to North Carolina.   These gatherings are always an opportunity to catch up on what the children are doing.

With spring seemingly here, I thought it would be a good time to share this delicious soup with you once again.  We first had it at our gourmet group in Texas thirty some years ago.  It came from one of the food magazines but I can't remember which one.  I don't think I've changed a thing through the years except that I now use an immersion blender to puree the dish.

If you are ready to put spring on your table (no matter what the temperature), this is the soup for you!






Potage Vert Pre

6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup minced green onions with tops
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups fresh or frozen peas
1 head Boston lettuce, shredded
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream (I've used half and half)
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas

1. Saute onions in butter in large pot until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add 3 cups peas, the lettuce, spinach, sugar and salt. Stir in 6 cups stock. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer covered 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree vegetable mixture 2 cups at a time in blender or food processor until smooth.*

2. Beat cream, egg yolks and pepper in small bowl until smooth. Combine with pureed mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is hot. Do not boil. Stir in 1 cup of peas.

NOTE: Soup may be prepared in advance up to this point*. Refrigerate. Heat to simmering before completing recipe.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds very good. Would you believe we had flurries this morning. Sun is out now, but it's still cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the first photo, it is really beautiful and it does shout spring... like the cup the completed soup is in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks rich, yet healthy. Would also be good for St. Patrick's day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup does remind me of spring, which we have seen little of here. Our Easter was cool and drizzly. Today started out with sunny skies but is now cloudy, drizzly and cool. Soon, I hope, to see warmer temps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had beautiful weather for the last week or so, and tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 70! This soup looks so Spring-y and would be a perfect first course for Easter dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seasonal foods and this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sure does look like spring in a bowl - I was hoping our weather wouldn't have been so chilly today, but sadly, 22 degrees when I got up - crazy! Glad you had a nice Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm! It is soup weather here today too. Cold and windy! Brrrr!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. How special that you've all gotten together like that-love it! I bet I'd really like this soup! What a fresh color:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A refreshing soup like this will make it seem like Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful spring soup! May the warm weather greet you soon.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the color- it is definitely the color of spring

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, a chilly start to April! My husband's birthday was today and he's taken his share of April Fool's jokes :)

    There is nothing like good friends to take the place of children when they have moved away. I'm so glad yours are still in your lives as ours are.

    This sounds like a wonderful soup and if you're still making it it must be delicious! I'll be pinning this to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spring soups like this one! I really wish I could get my hands on some decently priced fresh peas. Berkeley bowl has them sometimes, but they always seem to be a fortune.
    Our Easter was a bit soggy and cloudy, but still spring like in temps.
    Hope Spring arrives soon for you guys. :)
    My dad is moving from St. John at the end of this month to Pennsylvania, I think they are really going to miss the area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, This reminds me the soup I had in Ireland. Come to think of it I think I had it for at least three different meals. It was delicious!

    We, too have friends we celebrate Christmas Eve and Easter with. We are Godparents to each other's daughter, making the time together even more special. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. That soup sounds very good, Bonnie. It's neat that you have special friends to share the holidays with.. Our kids all live far away--so we never see them on holidays either. BUT--we talked to all of them so that was special!!!

    We did spend Saturday in the Smokies with one son and family. That was neat. AND--we'll see George's Dad tomorrow... SO--on Easter Sunday, we just relaxed and enjoyed each other. Fixed a turkey breast with a herb topping.. Excellent...

    Hope you (and I) get some spring this week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This soup screams spring and if we all scream loud enough . . . it will come, and stay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear your weather was pretty for Easter Bonnie. This soup looks like springtime in a bowl. Lovely.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. I;m glad you had at least a touch of spring and this soup looks like spring inside as well! It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love the friendships you share, Bonnie. Very special. Very special, indeed. This soup sounds just like spring! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.