Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Girl and the Goat and The Little Goat

The Baker and I headed into the city Sunday.  We were not there to bike Lakeshore Drive with the thousand or so energetic bikers who closed the entire length of it for hours.  No, we were there to have brunch at The Little Goat Diner.


Located almost on the corner of Randolph and Halstead, it wasn't hard to spot with this cute little fellow spinning atop the front entrance.  It's right across the street from The Girl and The Goat.  Stephanie Izard is the chef/owner of both.  We first tasted Stephanie's cuisine at her wonderful Scylla in Bucktown and were disappointed when the tiny gem closed.  She went on to win the fourth season of Top Chef and used her winnings to open The Girl and The Goat.  This past year, she opened The Little Goat right across the street.  It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.


We turned our coffee cups over and ordered a breakfast "appetizer"
the ooey gooey cinnabun


We shared the light as air concoction.


The Baker chose shrimp and grits topped
with fresh asparagus.


I dared to order the Asian-style breakfast
"tasty thing" that featured house-made kimchi,
bacon and eggs wrapped in a crepe.
Delicious!



Our waitress, Hillary, was very helpful in describing some of the dishes and making suggestions.  She kept our mugs filled with steaming coffee.  We lingered over a last cup until the hungry and hopeful diners began to gather at the front door and someone said there was a thirty minute wait for a table.  We ambled out onto the tree-lined street, sated but planning our next visit.

24 comments:

  1. Looks like this place will be around for a long time:)

    The mug..so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the little goat on top... i love baby goats. looks like two great places to eat

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps, i did not take a bottle pic of bob holding the bottle..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a place we would LOVE! I am especially fond of the est. markings on the bottom of the cups, too! Details. It's in the details. ;) Bet their attention to detail is in their food, too. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my list for my next Chicago visit, hopefully this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it wonderful to live close enough to the city to be able to go there on occasion for a wonderful meal???? I'm envious..

    Your brunches sound delicious--and that cinnamon bun, well let me say, looks fabulous.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spending time together at a special restaurant is a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute name for the diner. How nice to spend the holiday enjoying a new diner and a special meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great... wish we had some nice restaurants around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a Southern gal, I love shrimp and grits, so your husband's entree is very much making my mouth water. By the way, I hope your hubby is feeling better. At least that he's out and about is a good sign.

    I think it would be fun to eat at a "celebrity chef" restaurant at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I am suitably impressed, we have never missed an episode of Top Chef. So did you meet her or was she not there this time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you found a great place to frequent! I soooo need one of those sticky buns:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this all looks delicious! What a great way to spend the day. That cinnamon roll/sticky bun looked especially heavenly. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky!! I've always wanted to go there.

    My sisters niece used to be the pastry chef at Scylla, but now owns Black Dog Gelato - not sure if you've ever heard of it but its amazing!

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/black-dog-gelato-chicago-3

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great spread of shear deliciousness! Wow, i am hungry now- the smallest littlest places are always the best

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard of this and will have to get in there one of these days. Pretty delicious looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that the baker ordered shrimp & grits. One of my favorites.

    Hope you and the baker can make it to next year's blogger get-together in Tennessee. We would love to have you join us. We always have a fabulous time. Mark your calendar to come down our way. Would love to meet you both.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard a lot about The Girl and The Goat but missed seeing her on Top Chef. The next time we get to the city, I'd love to try one of her places. Both breakfasts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shrimp and grits sounds like southern food to me! And yours looks delicious. What an amazing experience for you, and yes, I'd plan to return!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a fun place to visit. The Asian theme breakfast sounds interesting. :) The shrimp and grits look yummy too. Thanks for sharing this place with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking forward to visiting this restaurant on one of my future trips to Chicago. I have heard so many wonderful things about it. Both meals looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adding this to our list! We finally made it to Ann Sathers this week.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. How very interesting. Love those coffee mugs. My husband was in Korea many years ago and speaks often of kimchi.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.