Monday, July 8, 2013

Shirred Eggs

The Baker doesn't know the first thing about relaxing!  So, when he suggested we enjoy a relaxing weekend, I didn't know what to expect.  As it turned out, I puttered around in the garden deadheading plants, gathering some fresh herbs, chatting with a neighbor and settling down into the warm day with my book.  He did the "relaxing" chore of some heavy-duty pruning and hauling it all off to the curb.  

It turned out to be our first really warm/hot weekend of the summer.   Saturday reached almost 90 degrees.  A year ago, it was 110 degrees!

Sunday brought a long walk for Oliver.  We then brewed a pot of coffee, spread out the newspapers and settled in to see if things had improved in the world!  The highlight of my Sunday reading is the Printers Row Journal from the Chicago Tribune.  It contains book reviews, author interviews and writings on writings.  There is a small extra yearly charge but it is worth every penny.  If you are in the Tribune coverage area, I highly recommend the read.

One of us eventually wandered into the kitchen and prepared this delicious favorite.  I'll let you guess which one of us cracked those eggs into the dish.


Shirred Eggs

Grease a 6 to 8 ounce ramekin with butter
Add precooked ingredients such as:
      thinly sliced ham
      cooked and crumbled bacon
      lox
      sauteed mushrooms
      steamed spinach
      hash browns
      shredded cheese
Add two eggs
Top with little bits of butter, grated cheese or cream.

This is one serving.  Prepare as many ramekins as you have guests.

Set the filled ramekin inside a larger, straight-sided pan and add very hot water.
Place all into a 350 degree oven and bake until the whites are set and the yolks are warm and liquid.
The time will vary depending on how many ramekins you are preparing.  Start checking for doneness after five minutes.  Remove from oven and serve with toast.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice weekend and a hearty breakfast:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a recipe like this. It looks delicious.Your weekend sounds perfect. And ... I loved the first line of this post.

    Fondly,
    Glenda



    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirred eggs sound good and your weekend sounds great. You can keep the heat though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! This sound like you can use leftover veggies or whatever under the eggs. Perfect. Don't you love days when you can just putter around?
    You've reminded me I have a little deadheading to be finished. Then I'm off to the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eggs look yummy! I miss getting the Sunday paper. We stopped the paper a while back, and I miss the Sunday version. I often pick it up at the market.
    We are back from Big Bear. So much to catch up on in the garden!!! I may go back tomorrow though.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM.... That egg dish sounds marvelous... I'd love it. Thanks for the recipe.

    Glad you had a good 4th--and weekend. I would have enjoyed what YOU did--but hubby???? Not so much!!! HA HA.. My hubby can't relax either. He's always doing something!!!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, it sounds like a perfect weekend and you've actually made shirred eggs tempting. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite ways to eat eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfect weekend, Bonnie all the way to the last bite of these delicious looking shirred eggs. I'm guessing maybe the non-relaxer of the two made them? blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look beautiful Bonnie, I am going to have to try them because I never have! Well, I am going to start looking around here for the Tribune on Sunday, but I despair that there will be none. Do you know of anywhere around here that sells it? I might try Starbucks and the big book stores, I think Barnes& Noble does. The big paper we love and I have grown up with is The Washington Post. Every Sunday they had Book World, and I loved it since I was 10. But a few years age they stopped it, saying the newspaper business has been bad and they can't afford it anymore. I will be so sad if the computer takes away our papers, I see them whittling down all the time, less and less sections. The newspaper used to be the height of the day, but no more...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a pretty awesome weekend and a delicious meal! I love puttering in the garden and mixing up delicious one bowl meals using whatever is in the fridge. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the way to enjoy a fabulous day. Relaxed with a little puttering with a grand finale a simply prepared egg dish that would pair well with a crisp glass of wine.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shirred eggs look perfect for a relaxing Sunday. I need some downtime right about now.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weekends and total relaxation go hand in hand. Sounds like you had a nice one. I'd love the shirred eggs with any of the combo suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like I a teenager again back home waking up in the morning time to eggs and bacon! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still waiting for that "relaxing weekend." I think it's still about 2 weeks away.....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't had a relaxing weekend since summer began so I am very envious of yours! A quiet weekend morning with this for breakfast sounds wonderful. A little less heat and humidity would be good too!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.