Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Farm Celebration


Last Sunday, we gathered at our friends' farm for an impromptu feast.  It turned out to be a celebration of a visit from their daughter, bringing sweet memories of when all our children were young and present at our visits.  It was the birthday of another dear friend.  Of course, whenever we get together, it is a special time.

I meant to take lots of photos.  The corn is now as high as an elephant's eye.  The sky above was a clear and brilliant blue.  The soybeans undulated in a gentle breeze.  I was so busy enjoying the scene that I forgot all about photos.

Most of the corn is hauled off for other uses but a small area is planted with sweet corn for the family, friends, deer and raccoons.  Sometimes, the latter get the best!!  What is better than freshly picked corn brought directly to the table?



It is corn planted, picked and prepared by the farmer himself!!  I failed to ask for the recipe but I believe it was just picked, shucked, cut from the cob and sauteed in a little butter, salt and pepper.  It was delicious!



I was too busy enjoying the food to photograph the barbecued beef, pork and chicken with sides of potato salad and a tasty watermelon.  I did manage to photograph the birthday cake before the celebrant blew out the candles and we all had a piece.


It was a very good day.

16 comments:

  1. wow that corn looks so delicious and reminds me so much when I was young and my mom prepared it that way and then added chopped tomato and put that in the corn...man oh man it was good..thanks for bringin that all back...come on over for a visit to my blog, would love for you to see the lady bug dishes...I just need your good food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day with very good food! And special memories too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love very good days Bonnie:)
    Is that the farm you went to recently?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love corn, any old way you fix it, and the way you showed here is the best of the best. i used to fuss about having to shuck corn and then slice off the cob, now i wish i could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this look have you had a lovely time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely evening. And it looks like two different cakes but I think it's just one! Both (views) show a beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds wonderful!!! This is so strange! This month, you and I both went to friends' houses who grew their own corn for a party!! Mine was in Churchville and it was a senior corn roast. You did much better than me, I forgot to take ANY pictures, except their corn fields!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like a good summer feast with friends. So grateful the corn has the rain it needs this year.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freshly picked corn is absolutely THE best. Looks like a great time with friends.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice celebration!!!!! That corn looks so good. So did the cake!!! I am missing my fresh corn!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when life gets in the way and you forget to photograph it!

    My Aunt made something similar on vacation - just fresh corn, sauteed in butter (and onions - ew!) she left a portion out for me sans onions! and I think she had chopped green pepper too - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a perfect kind of day, Bonnie!! Just the corn and cake would have been a feast!! Have a wonderful week! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a perfect day. Good food and friends just can't be beat. Have a wonderful day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun day. The corn looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.