Monday, September 30, 2013

Heirloom Tomatoes and Broccoli Salad

Marcella Hazan
April 15, 1924 - September 29, 2013

R.I.P., Marcella.  You have been an inspiration to me for many years.


 This recipe was inspired by what we brought home from the market over the weekend.  The summer tomatoes were side by side in the stall with the first of fall's broccoli.  I wanted to prepare both simply in order to enjoy their full flavor.  I've found that by lightly salting tomatoes, they will produce a nice juice that blends with a bit of oil and lemon juice after a brief refrigerator stay.



Cherry Tomato and Broccoli Salad inspired by what the market offered

1 bunch of broccoli florets cut into small pieces, save the stems for soup
A dozen or so heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1 fat shallot, thinly sliced or a few green onions thinly sliced
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper

1.  Steam the broccoli until just crisp tender, two to three minutes.  Leave covered while preparing the tomatoes.
2.  Cut the tomatoes in half and sprinkle them with kosher salt.   Put them in a bowl, cut side up, and let stand while you whisk together the oil and lemon juice.
3.  Add the warm broccoli and the shallot to the tomatoes.
4.  At the cook's discretion, lightly coat the mixture with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5.  Stir well and refrigerate for at least two hours, stirring several times more.  Bring to almost room temperature, stir again and serve, spooning the "dressing" collected in the bottom of the bowl over each serving.

ENJOY

15 comments:

  1. Simple, looks delicious and the color is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! I can't believe you're still getting beautiful tomatoes-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about MH..I love the one and only book I ahve of hers..:(

    Looks so bright and healthy your salad..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. I am not familiar with the woman you mention. I shall look her up. I had a beautiful box of heirloom mini tomatoes in my hand at Trader Joe's yesterday, and somehow, they did not make it home with me???
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! And perfect to take to lunch or a picnic. The tomatoes may be gone, but now on to the broccoli and cauliflower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food world lost a great woman with the passing of Marcella Hazan. I read a nice article about her some time ago about when she first arrived in the US.

    What a great way to incorporate more broccoli into our diet. Love your salad Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Love all the colors. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those market inspired meals- this looks great! Take advantage of those fresh veggies while you can, is what I say too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your market salad looks so fresh and delicious, Bonnie.
    I am always sad when our farmer's market ends.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, I'm very hungry and your salad looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is the simple that is the very, very best. Enjoy those last fruits of summer, Bonnie. {hugs} and blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. the simplest dishes are the best! and this is the best. Love the use of the tomatoes with the broccoli! a great combo

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH My----that made my mouth water, yet it's 11 p.m. and I need to go to bed!!!!! BUT--that salad looks delicious.... YUM...

    We are home ---and I only took 1500 photos on our trip... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.