Friday, October 18, 2013

Apple Walnut Cake


We have enjoyed this apple cake each autumn for the past fifteen years.  As soon as the local orchard opens, it is expected!  The aroma from the oven is heavenly!  I've been known to cut myself a piece before it even cools.  The neighbors ask about it if they don't have a few slices by mid-September.  For this delicious offering, I am the designated baker.

The original recipe calls for Granny Smith apples.  Years ago, we decided that we preferred Galas.  Any baking apple will do you well so feel free to "personalize".



Apple Walnut Cake from Gourmet 1998 and Me

2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 large Gala apples
1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, chopped
3 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 300
Grease (butter is best) a 13x9x2 baking dish.
1.  Sift the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
2.  Whisk in the oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
3.  Peel, core and slice the apples about 1/4 inch thick.
4.  Carefully stir the apples and walnuts into the batter.
5.  Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
6.  Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 30-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
7.  Cool

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. There is something about the "apple recipes" that just IS fall. Thank you for sharing a tried and true.

    Found the tea in nearby Charlottesville in one of the cute downtown shops... Roxie something. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why the neighbors expect this cake Bonnie. Any houses for sale near you?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious..Big apple lovers here..
    And Gourmet never steered me wrong:)
    Have a great weekend aand thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I LOVE those autumn colored polka dot plates, they are the star of your blog for me today!!! So I get the idea that your husband is a better baker than you are? How fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! Can it be made with sugar sub?

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda: I've never used a sugar substitute in baking so I'm not sure.

      Delete
  6. I can almost smell it here! I think apples are one of my favorite baking smells-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this cake looks so good - what a lovely way to celebrate the season!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just looking at this photo makes my mouth water. I can even sense it's wonderful aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the combination of walnuts, apples and spices. The perfect fall dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just about the same as my Grandma's recipe. We make it in a bundt pan and just dust it with c. sugar. It makes a very elegant slice of cake on a pretty plate.Funny, I only make this in the fall.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute dotted plates.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.