Just because summer has passed into fall, it doesn't mean that we can't still enjoy salads on the table. They just need to be a little more creative when not relying on the fresh taste of summer vegetables. The standard carrot salad put together with mayonnaise and raisins is a favorite around here. The boys never complained about eating their vegetables when it was on the table.
This recipe is a more grown-up version of carrot salad. The Dijon mustard gives it an assertive flavor that will be a surprise to some. The recipe is another favorite of ours from the Carry-out Cuisine Cookbook. It was from McMead's Restaurant in Miami.
I hope you'll give this slimmer version of carrot salad a try. It absolutely needs the two hours chilling time. In fact, overnight is even better.
Honey-glazed Carrot Salad from Carry-Out Cuisine
3 cups coarsely grated carrots
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine, chill thoroughly for at least two hours. Even longer is better.
ENJOY!
i love carrots salad but have not had one like this one. since i like carrots, i am thinking this is great. i love it with apples and raisins and carrots and mayo, the old timey kind mother used to make.
ReplyDeleteI will give it a try:)
ReplyDeleteI bet the ginger is a nice surprise, too.
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Glenda
I buy those shredded carrots every time I go to the market. I love to add them to
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday to you!
xo Kris
Hi Bonnie! Oh, we love carrot salad and I'll have to try your recipe. Thank you for your concern, sweet friend.
ReplyDeleteShelia :)
I love mustard and this sounds like a great salad! Think I'll try it one Sunday soon-thanks:@)
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting dish. It is kind of like the hot honey glazed carrots, only made into a salad!
ReplyDeleteGinger and mustard...the salad must have a nice zip to it.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen or thought of using carrots like that - I love anything with mustard, so I am in!
ReplyDeleteSounds great Bonnie and I like the combination of the ginger and mustard. Salads are on our table year around.
ReplyDeleteSam
This sounds very good.
ReplyDeleteI love carrots, and this salad sounds scrumptious. :)
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious! Great blog!
ReplyDelete