Monday, October 7, 2013

Honey-Glazed Carrot Salad

 Just because summer has passed into fall, it doesn't mean that we can't still enjoy salads on the table.  They just need to be a little more creative when not relying on the fresh taste of summer vegetables.  The standard carrot salad put together with mayonnaise and raisins is a favorite around here.  The boys never complained about eating their vegetables when it was on the table.  

This recipe is a more grown-up version of carrot salad.  The Dijon mustard gives it an assertive flavor that will be a surprise to some.  The recipe is another favorite of ours from the Carry-out Cuisine Cookbook.  It was from McMead's Restaurant in Miami.  

I hope you'll give this slimmer version of carrot salad a try.  It absolutely needs the two hours chilling time.  In fact, overnight is even better.  


Honey-glazed Carrot Salad from Carry-Out Cuisine

3 cups coarsely grated carrots
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine, chill thoroughly for at least two hours.  Even longer is better.

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. i love carrots salad but have not had one like this one. since i like carrots, i am thinking this is great. i love it with apples and raisins and carrots and mayo, the old timey kind mother used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the ginger is a nice surprise, too.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy those shredded carrots every time I go to the market. I love to add them to
    Happy Monday to you!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! Oh, we love carrot salad and I'll have to try your recipe. Thank you for your concern, sweet friend.
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mustard and this sounds like a great salad! Think I'll try it one Sunday soon-thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting dish. It is kind of like the hot honey glazed carrots, only made into a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger and mustard...the salad must have a nice zip to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen or thought of using carrots like that - I love anything with mustard, so I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great Bonnie and I like the combination of the ginger and mustard. Salads are on our table year around.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love carrots, and this salad sounds scrumptious. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.