We were living our Lubbock, Texas years. Our dinner group years. Memorable menus! One outstanding dinner was a barbecue--an indoor barbecue.
(We also served kielbasa, hence the pig napkins.)
One never knows where our conversations in this group will go. Saturday brought out the kid in us and memories of long ago cowpokes and their gals. Soon, we were humming along with Roy and Dale. And, all too soon, it was time to say adios and happy trails until we meet again.
Barbecued Beef Brisket
4-6 pound fresh brisket
Garlic salt
Onion salt
Liquid smoke (usually where the barbecue sauces)
Sauce:
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
Put all the sauce ingredients into a large saucepan and simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
For the brisket:
1. Sprinkle both sides of the meat with the garlic salt, onion salt and the liquid smoke. Wrap the brisket in heavy-duty foil and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
2. Uncover and pour 1/2 the sauce over the meat. Cover tightly and place in a roasting pan.
3. Roast at 250 to 300 degrees for 5 to 6 hours.
4. To serve, cut across the grain.
5. Pass the rest of the sauce separately.
NOTE: I usually roast the brisket before the day it will be served. To reheat, wrap it in foil and heat it in a 250 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
ENJOY!


love all three photos, really do... and you are right, we never ate outside except dinner on the grounds and when we drove from GA to KY we had picnics on the hood of the car or a table if we found one.
ReplyDeleteA delicious recipe and loved all your photos. Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteLove the setting:) Cozy cozy..Sounds like a lovely evening Bonnie.
ReplyDeleteI am quite literally salivating... what a gorgeous meal and such a lovely setting too... really wish i was there!
ReplyDeleteOh mercy!! That looks soooo good!
ReplyDelete: ) Kris
look delicious! and I love your pig napkins! so cute!!
ReplyDeleteThe brisket looks good, but for me the star of the show is your table!!! The tablecloth, napkins, and daisies. I would be in heaven! I even love your flatware, and putting the daisies in the jars. You have a talent for this.
ReplyDeletePiggy napkins!!! You know dinner will be good when it's served with pig napkins, sounds like you all had a fun day:@)
ReplyDeleteIf it's BBQ in Texas, it has to be brisket. Now I'm missing Texas this morning. Sounds like everyone had a fun time dressing up and enjoying some fine BBQ brisket.
ReplyDeleteSam
that brisket is down home cooking at its best! Love the tender meat and juciiness you can see just by looking at it let alone eating it. great flavor and best way to enjoy time with friends
ReplyDeleteIs it weird that I have never tried brisket before? This sure looks amazing though!
ReplyDeleteI have a similar recipe... and it is amazing how good an oven barbeque can be!! I know y'all had so much fun! Love the Dale and Roy touch on the Bose. =) That last chowder recipe sounds good, too!! Our weather has been cooler... but, not quite chowder time... I'll be looking forward to some then.
ReplyDeleteYep, those pickles are pretty tasty. ;) I'm counting down the days (one week) until I see the boys! I'll enjoy the fall fun for you, too. blessings ~ tanna
I love how you peppered in the pictures to your story! And I love brisket - we had the best moist brisket when we were visiting Austin - we still dream about it 18 months later! :D
ReplyDeleteBonnie, What a fun afternoon. I love Texas barbecue....I lived in Austin for eleven years. This sounds perfect for the times the weather doesn't allow us outside. Thanks for sharing! Bonnie
ReplyDeleteThat brisket looks so good! Happy trails! :)
ReplyDeleteWasn't the weather awful last week? Thankfully we seeing dry and sunny conditions ahead. What a fun night that must have been in Texas! Great memories.
ReplyDeleteBrisket is a favorite of mine in the winter when you don't mind the oven on for hours. It looks delicious!
Now I am really hungry!
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun was had by all.
M :)
That sounds like such a fun and memorable evening. I it was delicious as well. Blessings, Catherine
ReplyDeleteOh yes - looks like a fantastic cook-in! Lovely friends and food - nothing better.
ReplyDeleteIt all looks so good!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete