Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Irish Steak for St. Patrick's Day

My favorite part about a corned beef dinner for St. Patrick's Day is the sandwiches that come a day or so later.  With just two of us to enjoy the feast this year, there would be a lot of sandwiches in our future.  So, when I found out the Presbyterian church up near the city square would be serving corned beef dinners and corned beef sandwiches for dine in or to go, I added New York strip steaks to the grocery list.  I'll send The Baker up for sandwiches to enjoy the next day and hope that he doesn't get caught up in the parade preparations.  We'll celebrate the wearing of the green with the Irish steaks and then, if the weather cooperates, watch part of the parade as it passes our house on the way to the fairgrounds.

If you're looking for something other than corned beef and cabbage, I highly recommend this entrée which pairs well with the traditional colcannon.


Irish Steak inspired by a recipe in the Chicago Tribune

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 NY strip steaks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large shallot, minced
4 ounces mushrooms (crimini, shitake or a mixture), sliced
1 tsp honey
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 Tbsp Irish whiskey 
3/4 cup beef stock
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

1.  Heat butter and oil together in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2.  Add the steaks and saute 3-4 minutes on each side for rare to medium rare (or to taste).
Transfer to a warm plate and cover.  Place in warm oven while finishing the dish.
3.  Add the garlic, shallot and mushrooms to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes.
4.  Stir in the honey and mustard and cook for another minute.
5.  Add the whiskey and stock, raise the heat and and cook until reduced in half, about 5 minutes.
6.  Lower the heat a bit and stir in the cream.  Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and leave on low heat while preparing the steaks.
7.  Slice the steaks, on the diagonal, about 1/4 inch thick.  Add back to the sauce until just heated through.  

ENJOY!

10 comments:

  1. mmmm pinned it! that looks/sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, Bonnie! I love corned beef and cabbage, but Bill doesn't, so this is a great alternative, esp. since he loves NY strip steaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushrooms served atop a nice tender cut:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steak, cremini mushrooms, some cream and a dash of Irish whiskey - a terrific combination. How fun that your house is on the parade route.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love strip steaks! Though I have been forbidden by my doctor to eat any red meat. But I remember...the sauce looks wonderful. Maybe you can get some good pictures of the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, lots of big flavors here! Enjoy the parade:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks good! I love colcannon but don't like true corned beef. Except I have to confess to liking canned corn beef--how plebeian is that? But NY strip steaks for St. Pat's Day sounds just the thing! I'm bookmarking this as my printer is out of ink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I love corned beef and cabbage, I am happy to have another "Irish option" to add to my choices! This looks good any day! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a winner to me Bonnie. Enjoy the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband cooks the red meat at our house, so I've sent him this recipe. This needs to be dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.