Sunday, July 5, 2015

Blueberry Soup--A Summer Delight!

I never had cold soup until I met my husband.  Back in the day, The Baker wasn't a baker.  He wasn't a cook except for what he needed to prepare in his bachelor kitchenette.  I wasn't a cook either.  My mother and grandmother were not ones to share their kitchen space.  My sisters and I weren't even expected to wash dishes.  The few times we were asked to, a fight (of sorts) usually ensued.  The fight centered around which of us could get out of the kitchen the quickest.  It wasn't pretty but no bruises were involved.

One long ago hot summer day, Andrew invited me to partake in a bowl of chlodnik made from his mother's recipe.  Chlodnik is a Polish chilled soup made from barszcz (the Polish version of beet soup).  I found it quite delicious and refreshing.  My mother rolled her eyes when I told her about the soup.  Cold soup was not (and never was) something she was even interested in trying.  My second cold soup was one made with buttermilk, cucumbers and dill at a Polish restaurant in London.  It, too, was very good.  From those chilled beginnings, I graduated to gazpacho--a liquid salad that we enjoy all summer.

I had never tried a chilled fruit soup until I found this recipe in the Chicago Tribune some summers ago.  Is it a main course or a dessert?  It is delicious whatever part of the meal it is offered in.  When, as now, blueberries are in the market, this is on our table.  I hope you will give it a try.



BLUEBERRY SOUP
Chicago Tribune

2 1/2 pints fresh blueberries
1 3/4 cups cold water
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
Whipped cream, optional

Place two pints of the blueberries, water, orange juice, wine, sugar and zest in a medium saucepan over medium heat; heat to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer; cook stirring occasionally until blueberries break down, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; puree in a food processor. Refrigerate at least two hours.

Divide soup among 8 bowls; divide the remaining 1/2 cup of the blueberries among the bowls. Top each with whipped cream if desired.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting ~ I've never tried a chilled fruit soup. And I do love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds delicious and is so pretty. I first had a version at the Waterlot Restaurant near Stratford, Ontario, can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had this..the color is gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i might like the blueberry soup, i would count it as dessert.. i have never tasted cold soup of any kind, so don't know if i would like it or not... mother made chicken noodle and beef or veggie soups, chicken and dumplings. actually i have only tasted 3 hot soups, other than mothers. broccoli cheese, minestrone and another that the name will not come. those were in restaurants. i don't like onions so that lets out onion soup... i do love potato soup. now you know the rest of my story

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful. I don't think I've every heard of blueberry soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds and looks beautiful Bonnie:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds and looks beautiful Bonnie:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new one to me, but it looks refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a delicious dessert soup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything with blueberries has to be good. I'm looking forward to giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great, I'd like the whipped cream too:@)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.