We conferenced and I offered to do our luncheon. Yes, about three hours before the event, I agreed to be the hostess!! Instead of meeting at Gamba's, our delicious restaurant of choice, we'd be dining at my house. Having forewarned them the meal would be assembled from my freezer, I got busy setting the table. It turned out to be the easiest entertainment ever!! I didn't spend days deciding on the menu, grocery shopping, etc..
Minestrone Soup and Cornbread
I made a big batch of this delicious soup several weeks ago. It was perfect for a very cold day. There were five generous portions of homemade cornbread tucked into the freezer as well.
Evolution's Poppyseed Cake
The Baker had made peanut butter cookies for a friend's children the day before. I announced they would be dessert. He didn't think them worthy of a birthday celebration so he headed out to a local sweet shop and came home with this cake. The bottom layer is poppy seed. That is topped with a vanilla cream, topped with a fruit gelatin. Perched on top was a raspberry macaron. Oh my!!
Of course there were presents
and good conversation.
It was another successful celebration!
The ease of hosting long-time friends. I'm sure 2017 will also be successful.
ReplyDeleteYou were able to put together a relaxing and delicious meal! Happy birthday and best wishes for a wonderful 2017!
ReplyDeleteThose last minute gatherings around one's table can be the sweetest. It looks like a good winter lunch, and the sweet dessert looks amazing. So nice to grow older with good friends over the years.
ReplyDeleteVery nice! Glad you could all celebrate together:@)
ReplyDeletewow, you each got 3 presents? how fun is that? and that cake looks delish from here and so does the soup and corn bread. happy belated birthday to both of you
ReplyDeleteThere were three of us. We each two presents.
Deletewhat a lovely husband to think you needed a fantastic cake !!! kisses for him for sure. and a lovely meal with wonderful friends is always a blessing! Happy Belated Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHis cake is GORGEOUS!! You were all very brave to venture out for fixins! I would love to come over and look through your freezer! It must be full of delightful surprises. I can see where this would remove quite a bit of stress. It avoids days of planning and fretting. The minestrone looks mouth watering!! I always love seeing a new post from you!
ReplyDeletePerfect, just perfect!
ReplyDeleteHappy, Happy Belated Birthday, Bonnie! I love spontaneous gatherings! They are less stressful... especially, if we could all have your freezer stash available! Absolutely perfect! And, I love than Andrew braved the cold to provide a wonderful birthday dessert for you girls! May you all enjoy many more of these times. blessings and hugs ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteMy sister was born in January too, and our youngest grandson. Glad you finally got a celebration with your friends and the soup and cake look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHave a nice time with all of them as well as yummy dishes:)
ReplyDeleteThat freezer meal looks positively delish! I hope your year is filled with nothing by wonderful things!
ReplyDeleteBonnie sounds like you had an amazing birthday anyway!
ReplyDeleteMy mom's birthday is January 12th !
Hugs!!
Your birthday celebration looked fabulous, Bonnie! My son and oldest granddaugher were born in February, so I look at it as a perfect month to be born ...lol
ReplyDeleteSometimes the unplanned events turn out the best. I'm sure you and your friends enjoyed the belated birthday celebrations. Here is to many more healthy and happy ones.
ReplyDeleteWell, girlfriend, I am so impressed that you had such a great meal for you and your friends, right out of your freezer. I LOVE my freezer and try to keep meals in there, too. I did a post on a quick, freezer meal when a friend came thru my town, called and said "meet me for lunch"....I said "come on over here and I'll make lunch"...turned out great...gotta find that post and re-post it...
ReplyDeleteHappy late birthday.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your party was a success!!!
M : )