The cardinals met this morning. No, not those cardinals! The brilliant Northern Orange Cardinals. There are five of them in this photo. Every time I try to raise the blinds to get a clearer view, they hastily fly away. Yesterday, we counted nine of them on the branches and more on the ground. They were joined by wrens and finches. They seem oblivious to the lake-effect snow and howling winds!
Even more of the birds gathered for my birthday last week. The weather was the same: snow and wind shrieking and howling off Lake Michigan. The Baker had plans to take me out to dinner. I had plans to curl up under a blanket and read. It was bridge day, though, and I wanted to play. My dear friends and players had other ideas. It was, after all, my birthday and they were going to make it special. My sweet friend, Thelma, decided the night before to make a big pot of soup for us. She also had spanakopita in the freezer and time to make a delicious chocolate and nut bar cookie. Andrew drove me from our garage to the Brown's garage. Then he picked up Thelma and drove her and the food back to the nice, dry garage. Jane had set a lovely table for our feast. After many hands of cards, we tucked into that tasty soup. Thelma called it "everything but the kitchen sink soup".
Yesterday, it snowed from sunup to sundown--a beautiful snow. It was a perfect day to enjoy a couple of my birthday presents.
"Bitten by Witch Fever:
Wallpaper & Arsenic in the Nineteenth-Century Home"
Wallpaper & Arsenic in the Nineteenth-Century Home"
by
Lucinda Hawksley
and a lovely new Liberty of London teacup from
Anthropologie
Now to sip tea and read about "the fatal story of Victorian home decor". I've long been a fan of the Arts and Crafts movement and especially like the wall papers of William Morris.
Tucked into the pages of lovely wallpaper designs, are small booklets that give the history of arsenic and arsenic-based dyes. Thanks Elyssa and Stefan!!
Now I'm headed out to another birthday celebration. It is one of the perks of having a winter birthday.

this is the first i knew there is a book about wallpaper, i would like to page through to see all the different styles. Happy Belated birthday and the soup and friends sounds good to me.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! Love the cup, how sweet to drink tea from something so pretty. Enjoy the continued celebrations of you....indeed, a wonderful perk!
ReplyDeleteA belated happy birthday! I have missed you, and am so glad to see you!!! How have you and your husband been? This book looks so good!! And the mug is gorgeous! I am so glad your birthday is a really good one.
ReplyDeleteHappy, Happy, Happy Birthday, dear Bonnie!! May you celebrate through the whole year! Sooooo good to see a post from you today... like a birthday present to US!! I think those cardinals must have gathered to wish you a wonderful year as well! blessings and hugs ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Bonnie! Your husband and friends took very nice care of you :) Wish I still had a bridge group. Now, all my friends play Mah Johngg. It's become quite popular!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deletehappy birthday Bonnie :) :)
ReplyDeleteA belated happy birthday, Bonnie, on this snowy day--here and there. Sounds like your friends treated you very well. I'm intrigued by the wall paper book. Wallpaper is becoming popular again. One of the amusing things of growing older--seeing things come round again ... and again ...
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Bonnie. Love your birthday presents and so happy to see you here again. I remember lake effect snow from Lake Michigan. Brrr! But it is freezing here in Florida too.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Bonnie! Sorry its late, been so busy at work - enjoy our temps in the 30s this weekend!
ReplyDeleteBelated birthday wishes Bonnie. Okay so where do I sign up to subscribe?
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, Bonnie! That book looks fantastic, and I love the cup, too. What a great way to celebrate your birthday.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting and varied post! I have to admit, I was completely drawn in by the title. The book on wallpaper sounds very interesting. I don't know if you are a fan, or watch, the British TV series called Doc Martin, but there was an episode that addressed arsenic in wallpaper.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday:) Life sounds good and your cardinals are beautiful..what a treat as well as your other ones..enjoy all this celebrating:)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you were celebrating in style!
ReplyDeleteI'm in favor of extending those birthday celebrations!!
M : )
Happy belated Birthday!! I love your Anthropologie mug and almost bought it for myself recently. I think I need to go back and get it now! It reminds me of spring!
ReplyDeleteSorry to be so late to wish you a Happy Birthday, it sounds like you had a nice one despite the weather. Hopefully others will be nicer weather wise.
ReplyDeleteLindo. Feliz semana. Cumprimentos.
ReplyDelete