Monday, June 21, 2010

Gazpacho

If we didn't live in the frozen tundra, I'd have gazpacho year round. Who's to say that I haven't although I'm not admitting that's true! It's a salad in a bowl and stays for days in the refrigerator. In fact, it gets better as it "ages". Serve it with a savory biscotti, a melted cheese sandwich or alone. It doesn't get much better than this. Oh, wait! It will. Just as soon as local tomatoes hit the farmers' market.

Since living in "corn country", I've added those luscious yellow kernals to my recipe.



CORN GAZPACHO

1 cup cooked corn
1 large, seeded, chopped tomato
3 cups tomato juice
1 unpeeled, diced cucumber
1/2 cup finely diced Vidalia (or other sweet) onion
1/2 seeded minced jalapeno (or to taste)
1 minced garlic clove
2 tablespoons minced, fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Stir all together in a large bowl, cover and chill at least one hour before serving. Delicious!

I enjoyed this after every visit to my obstetrician while expecting our first child. I'd weigh in and then head to Cafe Lautrec at the top of the cove in La Jolla. My bowl of gazpacho was always followed by a warm brownie a la mode. I highly recommend the combination!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful recipe. So different with corn, but I really like the addition. So healthy! I'll try it soon.Thanks!!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to make gazpacho a lot...hmmm, seemed to have forgotten about it. Must try. I also like the brownie chaser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not only does it sound good, but the food/dish is beautiful to look at also. bring on the brownies

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's strange how I know about Gazpacho...I usually have all the ingredients necessary...and yet have never made one. Something for me to think about;o) Great Summer type recipe.
    BTW...Bonnie, your visit was a nice surprise.
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such is life in the Midwest! I love your addition to gazpacho and when the tomatoes do start to come in along with our Wisconsin corn it will be on our table. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds easy enough and I usually have all the ingredients on hand, wonder why I don't make this more often, quite healthy too so brownies afterwards are permitted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderful.... I would love that as long as it isn't too spicey...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous photo. The recipe is not bad either :-). I make a green gazpacho, but I think I'll give yours a try. I love the addition of corn to the mix. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful gazpacho. Lovely photo as well. Great way to put some good corn to use.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't made this in a long time but am bound to now since TWO blogs today have posted on it!
    Loved your comment on the cell phone on my blog. We watched a not-so-old movie the other night and remarked at how far things have come just since then. It may have just been the size of their cell phones, or they may have used a "real" phone. funny. We still have a phone attached to our wall but at least it does have push buttons, not a dial. It's at least 25 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My nephew and his wife will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My nephew and his wife will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yum!! And I bet this makes wonderful memories for you every time you eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love gazpacho! I will try your version the next time I make it. Hope you liked the baked potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is nothing more refreshing on a hot summer's day that a good serving of gazpacho! This one sounds particularly good. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the corn in your gazpacho. It gives it such great color and the flavor must be amazing now that fresh local corn is in season.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.