Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Andrew's Shrimp



The heat is back with a vengeance! It brought the humidity along to keep it company. Our kitchen is torn asunder while the cabinets are being painted. All the doors are off and at the painter's shop. Just walking through and taking a look at those doorless cabinets tells me that glass-front doors and/or open shelving is not for us. A few essential items have resurfaced. I found the charlotte mold. I also found the cute little boxes I purchased (at a long, long ago Williams-Sonoma sale) to package up Christmas toffee for gifting. And, I wonder if that tin of tea that I got in Montreal five years ago has any flavor left? Alas, it's too hot to give it a try right now.

I posted an oven-roasted shrimp recipe not too long ago but this one is better (well, just as good but I'm saying that in case my husband checks out my blog). Since I had a library board meeting yesterday afternoon, Andrew said he'd take care of dinner. And so he did--quite nicely!

I've given the recipe amount for 6 people. Andrew only did half which, of course, means that we ate more than we should have but it was oh so good!


Broiled Shrimp
The Joy of Cooking (and the joy of having my husband cook)

2 pounds jumbo shrimp, cleaned and deveined

Marinade:

1 clove pressed garlic
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sauterne wine
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsps each of parsley and basil, chopped together
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Blend all the marinade ingredients together. Place shrimp in a large container and pour the marinade over. Refrigerate for several hours. Heat the broiler, drain the shrimp and place in a broiler pan. Broil for about 5-6 minutes until the shrimp are pink and curled.

Serve with:

Lemon Butter Sauce

1/4 cup melted butter
1 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp lemon juice

Heat butter, parsley and lemon juice together. Spoon over the broiled shrimp.

33 comments:

  1. Hooray for your cooking hubby! You should be proud--this looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Sounds like a great summer dinner. Next time make double I'll be over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good!! We are true shrimp lovers. I posted a shrimp recipe today too. We'll have to give your recipe a try.
    Have a great day!!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love shrimp too but the best shrimp we have here is frozen. I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bakes and cooks too? Perfect! This shrimp is beautiful and it sounds delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems to me, you are keeping quite busy at your house! SHRIMP!!! Love them any way. These are delicious looking. Kiss the cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love recipes like this - delicious and quick to put together. Leftovers would be delish in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. shrimp is one of my favorite foods, these are even pretty to look at. I like the carrot header, meant to say that yesterday. senior moments coming closer together now

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love shrimp anyway and anywhere we find them. These sound delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful! I'll be trying that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love shrimp in the summer time :)
    Love the new header by the way!
    My sister is visiting my dad right now, and they went to the lake to swim yesterday. She said that it really was a different kind of hot over there :)
    We are still experiencing lower than average temps here in Nor Cal, which is fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I never met a shrimp I didn't like - which means - I need to try this recipe. Cheers to the hubster!

    xoxo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the carrot photo at the top of the blog. Great.

    I love shrimp and this is a dish I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having a husband who cooks - now that is a joy! What a delightful-looking shrimp dish. I may try your marinade and lemon butter sauce and try them grilled.

    What fun to find those lost treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Came over from Podso's blog. Looks like you're sharing some delicious looking recipes so I'll be back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always nice to get a break from the kitchen, especially in the heat. This looks like a super delicious way to prepare shrimp. I also like that clean up is a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful dish! What color are your caninets being painted? Will we get a post with before and after pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ginny: Yes, I plan to post before and after photos. But I won't post photos of the "insides". Yikes! How did I collect so much stuff. The cabinets are original to the house (1921) and nothing has ever been done to them. They weren't in awful shape but needed new hardware, etc. The color is Wheatfield by Benjamin Moore. It's a light buttercup wheatyish color. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds like the same color my DIL and son painted their cabinets! It sounds lovely! I have too much stuff, too, and glass fronted would show the world! I can't wait to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks good, Bonnie, especially on a hot, summer day.... Thanks for the recipe....

    I'd love that Walnut cake also.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Bonnie, you share the most wonderful recipes! And a husband that cooks - consider yourself a very lucky lady!!! :)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've been having lightning storms and hail! This looks like a really good recipe so I'm sending it to my brother and sister in law.

    In my less sane moments, I dream about glass front cabinets. I get over it when I have to put the dishes away. There's a reason my husband has that duty. Nothing falls out on us when he puts them away. No glass front doors for us, either :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely! A husband who offers to cook AND comes up with such a delightful dish!

    RE Donna Hay: It's lovely, it's Australian and it's expensive. I used to buy each issue at Barnes and Noble, but that's even more expensive. And here I was, cutting back on magazines. But this one is worth it! I've given up all the rest.
    Here's how you subscribe: donnahay@subscribenow.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks delicious - and yes, the joy is that your hubs did the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The shrimp AND the salad look delicious!! And, I can't wait to see the kitchen reveal!! It is quite amazing what we can have "stashed" away in our cabinets, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. that really looks great and nothing can be better than shrimp!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hubby did a great job! Looks delish.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks DELICIOUS! A perfect summer dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I must agree...broiled shrimp seems like a perfect way to cap off a summer day. And how wonderful to have someone else cook for you! I love being in the kitchen but it is refreshing to allow someone else do the food work every once in a while. And thank you for your kind words on my blog, they meant a lot!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. my gosh.. what a yummyliscious dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. molto buono!!I love shrimp's recipes. I bookmark it and try also this way. Thanks a lot. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great husband! great recipe! Looks really good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.