It snowed all day Tuesday. Really our first snow of January. December seemed to bring snow daily but January, so far, had spared us. The snow meant that my book group, The Muses, had to postpone our discussion of Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. It also meant that I needed to come up with something for dinner. Mary, over at One Perfect Bite had posted this recipe for tortellini in broth a few days ago. It sounded so good that I put the ingredients on my grocery list. Happily, I tackled this deliciously simple dish.
If you've never visited with Mary, please do. Her blog is appropriately named for sure!! We enjoyed a number of perfect bites with this dish--perfect on such a blustery evening.
If you've never visited with Mary, please do. Her blog is appropriately named for sure!! We enjoyed a number of perfect bites with this dish--perfect on such a blustery evening.
Tortellini en Brodo from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup diced pancetta
1/4 cup finely minced shallots or red onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed beef broth, undiluted
1 cup water
1 (13 oz) bag fresh tortellini
Parmesan cheese
Fill bottom of a large saucepan with the oil. When hot, add pancetta and saute until lightly browned. Add shallots and garlic and saute until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour in wine and, scrapping bottom of pan, cook over high heat until nearly evaporated. Add chicken, beef broth and water and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile bring 5 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt and tortellini. Cook according to package directions. Drain. Place 14 to 18 tortellini in bottom of each of 4 shallow soup bowls. Ladle hot broth over all. Serve with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
ENJOY!
As you know I'm from Bologna...tortellini's city!!!
ReplyDeleteI read this yummie and comfortable recipe in MAry's blog...and if you want in my blog you find the tortellini handmade tortellini recipe!!!
Have a nicve day, hugs, Flavia
Mary's is a favorite place of mine as well and I missed that soup on her blog -- looks yummy and I may have to try it! It's snowy here on the prairie as well!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to get that same Marcella Hazan cookbook that you got the chicken marsalla out of -- but there is no cookbook on Amazon with that exact title -- could you check yours and see what the exact title is?
ReplyDeleteSome of the choices are: Classic Italian Cookbook, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking and More Classic Italian Cooking.
Thanks!
I'm loving your soup recipes! I have a spinach tortellini soup but this looks like one to try as well!
ReplyDeleteMary's blog is super, isn't it? This soup sounds like a comfort soup...the kind I'd like when I was out for the count. Interesting to combine both beef and chicken broth.
ReplyDeleteThis weather is perfect for a nice hot soup! Thank you, Bonnie.
ReplyDeleteI do love Mary's blog.I also really enjoy reding yours of course. This is the soup my daughter in law has been talking about.Very anxious to make it.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that we are both making soup today to create that warm blanket to counteract all the white stuff out there.
ReplyDeleteI love Mary's blog and I am sure this soup is delicious.
ReplyDeleteI am going to try this. It looks very easy and yummy. Carla
ReplyDeleteTHIS set my taste-buds on red alert. I have most to the ingredients so I know I will work with it to create this tonight. Still COLD here and this will hit the spot...
ReplyDeleteDog-gone, I want you to describe how to make mud-pies and photo them. You do such a good job with photos and instructions I know you could make folks mouth water and want to go create some.
giggle..
Looks delicious --especially on a cold, snowy day in TN. Thanks, Bonnie.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
delish!!!
ReplyDeletelooks good to me, but i can't even pronounce it. good stuff for cold weather
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you enjoyed this. I'm also delighted with the link. Thanks so much, Bonnie. have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteThis looks so yummy. I don't know if I will ever get my daughter to eat this, after I over did a similar dish when she was a little girl. It was not as wonderful as yours, since we were skimping then. I want to eat some though :)
ReplyDeleteGood Thursday dear,
ReplyDeleteHere I am posting on this soup recipe, but I really want to address the salt topic posted earlier this week.
I just received my new Penzeys Spices catalog and was really surprised to see this letter from he owner.
"We're cutting back on salt.
A really good and healthy thing going on with food right now is that people are using less salt. We want to be a part of this. Going forward we will continue to sell reasonably priced generic salts of the earth and sea, but we will no longer be selling the higher priced specialty salts. I feel things have gotten to a point where the specialty salts are glamorizing the use of salt and, with that, encouraging people to use more of it. I have also found that along with the marketing of specialty salt has come a great deal of misinformation, including claims that some salts don't affect your health like others do. It is just not true and not something we want to be a part of. Salt is salt, it really is, and it tastes no different no matter where it comes from.
WOW, I am not only surprised, but also very pleased that Penzeys is stating this and solving their version of contributing to the problem. This shows me a great social conscience.
Sending love from a sunny California kitchen,
Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island
I visit Mary every day and really enjoy her blog. Your picture is awesome!! What's up with the Charlottesville deals? I did go in and sign up with my e-mail. Do you do it?
ReplyDeleteHey Bonnie, I hope you're enjoying the snow. I'm in South Florida, so it sounds kind of nice to me. I know a lot of people up North are getting real tired of it though.
ReplyDeleteEither way, that photo makes your soup look so good. I love broths like that on a cold day. Plus, I've never had tortellini in broth. It does look so wonderful!
p.s. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I really do feel deprived of the kind of relationship you have with your DIL. I hope it's the same with the next one! That's how things should be...
As luck would have it I have all the ingredients for this yummy soup and can make it in time for dinner. My cold is hanging on and I need a steamy bowl of homemade soup.
ReplyDeleteThis looks great. I've been seeing this on other blogs and I can't help but think of how comforting it is every time.
ReplyDeleteThis soup looks like a perfect snowy day meal. I love Mary's blog- I can always find delicious things there!
ReplyDeleteI adore tortellin en brodo. I grew up in Italy and this was always a favorite. I make it at my diner and my customers love it. I precook the tortellini and then add them to the soup when ordered.
ReplyDeleteAs a child, I used to run over to my 'Nonna' whenever she whispered the words of this comforting soup...yum...one of my favourites.
ReplyDeleteThis version is only slightly different than what we make, however...how can we not enjoy every last slurp of this soup ;o)
Ciao for now,
Claudia