Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tortellini Salad

The mayor called a little while ago.  He said for us to stay in and keep our cars off the street--driving or parking.  He said to keep safe but if we needed help to just ring him up.  Actually, it was a recorded message.  Those messages have been very helpful in past emergencies.  Oh, now we know not to put out our garbage either because it won't be picked up!!

So, I say "Hello my pretties.  I have a job for you.  I want you to turn yourself into a salad that will remind us of summer."


And, like all obedient and colorful peppers and tomatoes, they did.


Tortellini Salad with Sweet Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes 

8 ounces of dried tortellini filled with pesto cooked according to package directions
1 cup of assorted sweet peppers thinly sliced into rounds
1 cup of cherry tomatoes quartered
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup Italian Parsley

Mix all together in a large bowl.

Dressing:

2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all dressing ingredients together.  Pour over the tortellini and mix well.

Allow to set at room temperature for at least an hour or several days in the refrigerator.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

Turn up the thermostat.  Don a short sleeved shirt.  Bring out the lemonade.  Oh, first close the curtains so that your eye isn't drawn to the vast swirling whiteness outside.

ENJOY!

23 comments:

  1. And I am complaing about the cold here. This salad looks very tempting. I am bookmarking this since I am on a diet and I need salad recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're watching your weather--stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try this special salad with tortellini!!!

    Hope spring comes soon!!Hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dod need to feel summer; lovely salad; when I spot these tomatoes at the supermarket, they go in my basket; just like summer tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad does sing of summertime! Those tomatoes look so good! Did you find those on your shopping trip to Whole Foods? I do like the idea of the short sleeved shirt and lemonade, but I'm not giving up my sweater and Uggs. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 6:45 a.m. and we are awed at the amount of snow on the ground!! Not a vehicle in stirring in front of our house.

    Tanna: The tomatoes and peppers are from Trader Joe's.

    Thanks to all for your concern. We are warm, safe and well fed.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum! Stay in, stay warm, and enjoy your yummy dish! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're inside as well but not eating foods reminding us of summer but winter soups!

    What a great looking salad -- but I'll be admiring it from it and not trying to duplicate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm! Beautiful summery dish! And I love that the mayor called everyone in town. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good. I may have to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got a photo from my granddaughter in Chicago that shows her car almost covered in snow. Guess she won't be going anywhere today. Stay in and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh this looks wonderful! We're in as we gotthe ice during the night and early this morning. I think we are getting flurries now along with wind (I hate the wind). Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks totally awesome! Crank up the heat in the house, make it feel like summer and chow down.

    Hope you are all okay, I saw on tv you have so far 17-20" and an inch of ice. Good you still have power.

    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh YUMMMMMY, I can feel that summer sun shinning thru the window now. This looks like just the meal on a cold snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the make a wonderful photo, the colors are so brilliant. the after the fact looks just as good. i have to save i have never had the mayor call me, automated or not. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tortellini are so good, I should do more with them! Good way to spend a snow day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has been one long winter! It is cold and damp and dreary!...but! There is a bright side it gives one time to create wonderful dishes like the one you made..Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does look like summer in a bowl and I love the colors!

    We only got about 10 inches of snow here but I heard it was much worse in the Chicago area! No school here tomorrow again. The drifts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's not snowing here but with gray skies and rain your salad will bring out the sun. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So simple yet bursting with flavor. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're doing a great job of bringing sunshine to Chicago! This looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.