Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turkey Meatballs and Yes, It's Snowing



I had some ground turkey in the freezer, a bit of fresh (well, it had seen fresher days) parsley in the crisper, half an English cucumber and almost a cup of Greek yogurt standing between me and a cleaned out refrigerator/freezer.  I felt the urge to use those items up and wash down the appliance before stocking up.  I planned to head out to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to stock up before the "STORM" and wanted a pristine environment in which to unload the shopping bags.

I've shared this recipe before.  It's so easy and delicious that I want to bring it back for some of you who might have missed it the first time.  This amply satisfies four.  Since there are only two of us, we'll have the leftovers tucked into a warmed pita for lunch tomorrow--while we watch the snow start to fall.



TURKEY MEATBALLS

1 pound ground turkey breast
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped green onions
Grated zest of one lime
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg white, beaten
Flour for dredging
Canola or safflower oil

Combine turkey, bread crumbs, green onions, lime zest, parsley, chili powder and salt. Add egg white and mix lightly.

Form into balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Flatten slightly. Lightly dust with flour. Heat oil and fry over medium heat. When browned and cooked through, drain on paper towels. Serve with yogurt sauce.

YOGURT SAUCE

1 medium English cucumber, diced*
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

*Toss the diced cucumber with one tablespoon of salt in a colander. Allow to sit and drain for 30 minutes. Drain well before adding to the sauce.

Combine all the ingredients and allow to stand for fifteen minutes before serving.

Served with a green (perhaps Greek) salad, this serves four.

We are always happy to have leftovers to be spooned into warmed pitas and topped with the sauce.

Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. You were smart to get out yesterday to stock your pantry and fridge! I procrastinated and was going early this morning; it is pouring rain and the temp is dropping like a rock (we are due more freezing rain, no snow until later). Glad you will be enjoying these delicious sounding meatballs while snuggled inside today. This one looks to be brutal all across the country! Stay warm and safe, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! And I like the idea of leftovers in pita bread!!!

    We, too, are in for snow and Linderhof is stocked with provisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stocked up early yesterday morning. Glad you are all reading for the blizzard, Bonnie. This mornings news says it will be brutal.

    The meatballs looks delicious.

    Thanks so much for your encouragement and thoughtful comments on my blog.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are well stocked for the winter blizz... This recipe sounds super and perfect leftovers.

    Hang in there... Will be keeping up with the forecast in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delish! Just the thing to comfort you during a snowstorm. Stay warm, my friend! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. It feels so good to clean out the fridge, doesn't it?? Stay warm! Won't be a problem with those meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the days when I grew up in Eastern Canada where we were snowbound. As kids of course we loved every moment of our school free days. I also have some turkey in the freezer so it is time for some comfort dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this one is easy enough for me to do and i have been looking for some new way to use ground turkey. this is very similar to what i do with canned salmon so i know i can "do" it and it will be edible. thanks and i was glad to see the cucumber was in the sauce. at first i thought she is cooking cucumbers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished with my good-girl oatmeal and fruits breakfast.
    I was well on my way to thinking I was satisfied...for now at least. Big mistake to come and see you and those tasty meatballs. Then, the yummy sauce which has my very favorite ingredients...just made me hungry all over again!!!

    Btw...we strangely have received a low record of snow so far...now I know where it's going! Remain safe in the comforts of your home Bonnie.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I sit here in my kitchen, looking at -13 degrees on our outdoor thermometer, I think a refrigerator full of leftover meatballs and some warm pita to stuff them in sounds DARN good, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious... I can eat ground turkey --but it has to be really spiced up (to lose that turkey taste).. ha... BUT--that sauce would be wonderful... Sounds like a great dinner including the salad.

    I'm praying for you all. Hope the storm won't be as bad as they say it is going to be.

    Love and Prayers,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, how delicious with the cucumber sauce??? Great call!

    New to your site. Love it here already. Can't wait to poke around some more.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually have all these ingredients I need to make these and now have a plan for tonight's dinner. We have to stop meeting like this :-). Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious these turkey meatballs.... and No...it's raining...as Niagara FAlls!! Hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those sound so good. We're bracing for our 2nd storm since yesterday...freezing rain...oh joy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound like perfect Greek flavors to me. Those meatballs go great with the pita and the yogurt sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy. Some blog did a cranberry yogurt sauce on a turkey burger today...sounded good. I'd be tempted to try it with your meatballs! Think how good that would be in pita too!

    You guys have had a wicked winter. Can we hope it'll be over soon?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm - these look incredible. I would have never thought of adding lime zest to meatballs but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just finished dinner but this still looks good! I am yearning for an empty freezer to clean--slowly in the process of doing that. I hope your snow is somehow enjoyable and not too deep that you can't enjoy it!
    It will be 60 tomorrow morning here, but get colder as the day progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those turkey meatballs look yummy- there are so many things you can do with them! It's a good thing you stocked up- this storm you're having sounds like a doozy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Meatballs sound just perfect on a cold, winter day. I can't believe the weather we are having. Thank you for sharing with me, my sweet friend. I hope you are staying safe and warm. It is even too cold in my part of the country...and I'm in Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stocking up on meatballs is the ticket! Thanks for a great post here. I too make meatballs and freeze them. The photo sure makes a person hungry...

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.