Monday, May 23, 2011

Re/Pa* Carrot Soup for the Common Cold

It is nearing the end of May and we are still having more cool days than not.  Yesterday, our sun drenched city turned very dark just after noon.  The wind howled, trees and bushes swayed and rain poured.  The temperature dropped ten degrees in half an hour.  My lingering little night-time cough continued to put me in the mood for soup.  Specifically chicken soup.  Alas, I had no chicken.  The last of the "frozen parts" had been used in a soup for Andrew's spring cold.  Yes, we went all fall and winter with no colds or flu (or pneumonia), saving our illnesses for spring!


I've been spring cleaning the refrigerator and pantry and a quick mental search told me I had the right ingredients to do a *Refrigerator/Pantry soup  I had chicken stock, onions, garlic, carrots and oranges.  While it may not be the healing panacea of granny's chicken soup, it came close.

Here is how I did the soup.


Carrot Soup

1 pound carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, sliced 
2 fat cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1quart chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
dash of cayenne, optional
juice (about 1/2 cup) and zest of one large orange

1.  In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the olive oil until transparent.  Add the garlic and saute another minute.  Add the carrots and the stock.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan.  Simmer until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

2.  Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender or food processor), blend the soup until smooth or, if you like, leave it a bit chunky.  Check for seasonings.  If your stock was well seasoned, you probably won't need more.  Stir in the orange juice and zest.

ENJOY!

25 comments:

  1. hope you feel better soon and the weather changes and brings you sunshine to go with this very attractive soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot and orange soup. Have you tried carrot and orange jelly? Just divine. Get well soon. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too cool here too. I long for consistently warm days....not hot.

    I hope you feel better soon. The soup sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have been away from the computer, did you get Andrew's cold? I know you all have had your share and its time to kick that out the door.
    This sound yummy, I was wondering before I read the recipe what on earth were you going to do with that orange. Using the zest will add a bit of tart to it.

    Stay safe from those stroms. We need rain in a big way but can do without the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are on the mend - I think you will be after eating this delicious and healthy soup - lovely flavors - thanks for sharing this
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get better soon. I love carrot soup. Our weather is up and down with the grass growing like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the carrot soup did the trick and your cough is done. I'm wondering what happened to your banner?
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really yummy! I hope you feel better soon and your weather brings lots of warmth and sunshine! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that color! Hope your delicious soup aids that cough. It's about time you had some warm weather. It's nearly June for Pete's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am such a soup-aholic! This carrot smooth looks so smooth, creamy and perfect! Can't wait to try it but here it's a bit warm for soup in Sunny CA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrots are one of my favorite vegetables and I'm always looking for ways to use them. I got some very tender little carrots at the market on Saturday and I bet they will be perfect for this yummy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This soup sounds different! I hope you're feeling better soon:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet that would even be good cold! Hope all is well soon! We are starting to warm up. Hope for some spring weather before we have to endure the humidity and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Rita,
    I certainly hope hope hope we do NOT get any more cold weather where we will need soup...I say that as it hit 90 today and that's where we will be all week! I love it...so I guess the soup will have to wait until next winter?

    Have fun with your sisters and let them catch you up on American Idol :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soup is good for the soul, as well as a cold! I would drink this, I dont' think it's gonna get any warmer any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks lovely and restorative. I'd love to have a bowl of it. I hope you have had a great day and are feeling better. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would not have thought of the juice with the carrot soup...it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks divine...cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie, Sorry you are still suffering with your cold---but the Carrot Soup has to be a cure-all.... THAT --plus some warm sunshine is all that you need...

    Hugs and Prayers for you,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your soup looks delicious...I've never tried carrot soup! Hope you get to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't even get me started on this weather! I'm so sorry your cold is still lingering on. We've been lucky here too and when I went for my annual physical this spring my doctor said it was a relatively 'quiet' year as far as illnesses.

    I'm sure this delicious soup was just what the doctor ordered. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you feel better soon! That soup should help- it looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the new header picture and this soups sounds fantastic. I hate that your not feeling well and will be praying for you but this soup sure looks like the perfect pick me up!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.