Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cole Slaw and Garden Rambling

My contribution to our 4th of July gala was cole slaw.  That's it.  Just a good, simple cole slaw.  Andrew grilled steaks and put a potato in to bake.  It was just the two of us.  Make that three of us.  I caught Oliver eyeing the steaks on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator earlier.  He likes his rare!

I've been preparing this dressing for years and have no idea where I got the recipe.  At some point, I added the dash of sesame oil.
  


Cole Slaw

1 small cabbage (preferably fresh from your neighbor's garden)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp Japanese sesame oil (or more to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

I prefer to chop the cabbage but grating is just fine.
Mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper.
Pour over the grated cabbage, mixing well.
Cover and refrigerate.

ENJOY!




Clematis from the garden.  The sweet little vase was a gift from my neighbor.  She filled it with tulips and trudged over one cold and snowy January for my birthday.


Ornamental ginger and autumn sedum vie for space in my "friendship" garden.  The ginger came from my friend Sheila a few summers ago.  I brought back the autumn sedum from my friend Barbara's Fond du Lac garden a few summers past as well.  The ground cover came from my neighbor's garden.


The lace cap hydrangea is filling with buds.  They'll all pop out creamy white and gradually change to a rusty pink by autumn.


Why is the bowl of the bird bath turned upside down?


Because this white "bird" with the black spots (seen casually napping under the dining room table) thinks it is his personal water fountain!!


27 comments:

  1. Hai Dear

    you have a lovely blog...Please check out my blog..It is for food lovers and person who love to cook..You could find so many recipes that you can easily try at home..I update this blog on a regular basis…So please follow me and motivate me..Thank you
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

    Aarthi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your simple, just cabbage, slaw... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to add "a zillion things" to cabbage salad. This looks so simple and delicious. I want a neighbor with a big garden.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of trying sesame oil in the slaw! Thank you, Bonnie. Your friendship garden is very pretty and special for its origins and those it represents. Did Oliver snag any steak? ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of chopping rather than shredding the cabbage, it would be so much easier. The dressing sounds good.
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The slaw sounds great and the garden looks very healthy! I never would have thought to snip a few clematis for a vase, they look pretty! Happy Tuesday:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That recipe is how I make mine minus the sesame oil, I like that oil so I will have to try it.

    You sure have a lovely garden, will be watching for pictures when your hydrangea blooms. I was wondering why bowl was upside down...

    Hope your 4th was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coleslaw has to be one of my favourite salads for summer. I love it with pulled pork and fish tacos too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sesame oil twist in this cole slaw! And what a gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful garden, beautiful dog and beautiful recipe. I love the addition of the sesame oil!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been searching for ornamental ginger for years. Love it! Always looking for a new coleslaw recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a peacefully quiet day! And sunny, from your pictures. LOL we also have had a "mushroom" birdbath. Your coleslaw looks deliciously simple and the sesame oil is an interesting twist I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. first things first.. LOVE that white bird under the table that drinks from a bird bath. LOVE it
    your garden looks wonderful and the slaw I have never seen made that way but it looks and sounds really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love good old fashioned cole slaw!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good coleslaw! Hope you and the family had a great 4th!

    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a lovely dinner for the fourth. My cats like to get in the birdbath and nap. Maybe that's the lazy way to hunt for birds. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Bonnie, I love cole slaw--and my mom used to make the best slaw (with onions and bell peppers) --and a sweet and sour dressing.... YUM.... Haven't been able to make it like she did--but I've tried a few times.

    Get a taller base for your bird bath --so that your pup can't reach it --and the birds can enjoy it.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love these pictures, especially of your yard, I want to see more when the hydrangea blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing beats a grilled steak and your coleslaw sounds perfect. Love glimpse of your garden. Did he get his rare steak?
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your slaw sounds delish! We had slaw in a mustard sauce the other day, and all the veggies, cabbage included were cut in to squares/chuncks. It was different but tasty. I'm of the opinion that most food made by other people for me to eat is wonderful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought i was just going to read about cole slaw and then you threw in the bird bath thing ans I just cracked up laughing, picturing
    "the white bird" enjoying a drink out of "his fountain!"


    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor Oliver! I hope he got a scrap or two :) Your slaw looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never added sesame oil to cole slaw but I'm sure it tastes very good! Your friendship garden is pretty and I fully understand the need for the upside down bird bath when Oliver thinks its his water dish ..lol. I hope he had a little piece of steak!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cold slaw is the perfect salad to serve at a picnic as far as I'm concerned. And the old recipes are the best. Mine is similar, but have never tried the sesame oil.

    That little cache pot is adorable! What a perfect little gift.
    Funny about the dog loving the bird bath water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great cole slaw recipe! Simple but looks wonderful. I like the tours of your garden that you give us
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Is a picnic complete without coleslaw? Yours looks so good, and I love the addition of sesame oil. I'll have to try that the next time I make it. Love your big spotted bird! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.