Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes


Every year in early fall, I get a taste for fried green tomatoes.  I once remarked to my mother that it was a dish I associated with autumn.  She reminded me that we ate them all summer growing up.  Perhaps the fact that I love tomatoes fresh off the vine and in their naturally delicious state gave rise to frying them up only when they are on the wane.  It's not important really!  The fact is that last Thursday, I e-mailed our favorite farmer and asked if she could harvest three or four green tomatoes for me.  Linda never lets me down!!

When mother gave me her recipe, it didn't contain the egg-buttermilk mixture.  She said she only used egg.  The memory stored in my taste buds said "buttermilk" and "add a little garlic".  This year, I made those small changes after checking a few recipes.  Mother always used her cast iron skillet and I follow that instruction faithfully.  I'm not sure it makes a difference but it is now tradition.

However you fry these up, I hope you'll try this when you can get green tomatoes.




Fried Green Tomatoes from me, my mother and myrecipes.com

3 medium sized green tomatoes cut into 1/3 inch slices
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
vegetable oil

1.  Stir the beaten egg and buttermilk together.
2.  Combine 1/4 cup of the flour with the cornmeal, salt, pepper and garlic in a shallow bowl.
3.  Dredge the tomato slices in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour, dip in the egg mixture and then dredge in the cornmeal mixture.
4.  In a large cast-iron skillet (or any skillet will do), pour enough oil to about 1/4 inch and heat until hot.  Carefully add the tomatoes into the hot oil and cook about 3 minutes per side until golden.  Drain and salt if desired.

ENJOY!

28 comments:

  1. Loved the movie..these must be delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I love fried green tomatoes. My mother used only egg as well. I am definitely going to frying up a bunch of these beauties, if I can find the green tomatoes. Actually I had a grocer once tell me all the tomatoes in the supermarkets are green, they are fed to turn red long before they are ripe. May I stop over for supper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over! Drop ins are always welcome in a southern kitchen even when it's transplanted to the midwest.

      Delete
  3. Bonnie, they look really delicious! I love fried green tomatoes and this recipe sounds perfect with the buttermilk. Now, I only my hubby liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummo! The custard as well, there I go, supper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! Fried Green Tomatoes was one of my favorite movies!!!
    XO kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of a Chicago winter when we stored green tomatoes in our basement wrapped in newspaper while they ripened. They weren't as good as fresh off the vine. I used to use a very similar recipe for fried sliced eggplant. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible idea....it's like sliced squash fried in egg...that is a brilliant idea. It must be sweet and sourish. Kiss your mom for me :)>

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband loves fried green tomatoes so I made some this year. They are always a welcome splurge! Your are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had fried green tomatoes. (But I love the movie.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sure sound good! I think I missed my chance, the boys took down the garden a couple weeks ago. Maybe next year:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie,
    There is nothing like a fried green tomato or green tomato pickles. Your recipe looks wonderful!

    all the best,

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted try these. Sounds kind of like how my grandma would fry eggplant. This was nit such a great year for tomatoes down here unless you faithfully watered them. These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look wonderful but tell me, are green tomatoes un ripened tomatoes or are they their own special variety? It's just that I have 2 vines full of toms that, now the summer is over, won't ripen and could I use them for this? Have always wanted to make fried green tomatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom: I e-mailed you an answer. Will say here that the tomatoes are unripened. The lovely green heirlooms are too juicy for this dish.

      Delete
  14. I love 'em, Bonnie. I do use buttermilk, but never thought of garlic powder. Next time....

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love fried green tomatoes for breakfast. I've never used buttermilk. Thanks for the idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried these, but they look & sound incredible! :)
    Enjoy!!!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used your recipe yesterday, after picking my green tomatoes to ripen in the basement. I just happened to have buttermilk in the house. I loved them...the crunchy coating stays on and doesn't fall off like in my other recipe.
    Thanks...Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I imagine the egg and buttermilk mix would help the flour to adhere. I haven't seen any green tomatoes here in DC yet, but I'll keep hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a recipe that i have not tried but have been curious about. I still have a few greens that the chipmunks haven't gotten to. I better harvest it while I can.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie, the tonatoes were from the previous post. Yes they are gone now. :-) Actually I have another 12 hour day tomorrow and Monday and then I am finished forever. Yes: retirement !! What an exhausting way to end! That little flower vase is really a little old fashioned milk bottle. :-) A favorite of mine. Hope you have a good weekend and some good fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonnie,
    I have some leftover yarn so I just may make you one...in your size. :o)

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm afraid there will be plenty of green tomatoes on my plants that don't have the time to ripen with our shorter days.

    I've only had fried green tomatoes once - we good friends hosted their last gourmet before they moved to Georgia and it was a southern theme. I'd love to have them again so thanks so much for the recipe! I'll be checking that old menu to check for similarities :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Dad always was the one in my family who craved fried green tomatoes and I always think of him when I eat them! I have to try buttermilk in the mix the next time I make them as That sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How funny... it seems like I never make these until the end of summer, either! Somehow it doesn't register with me that I can pick a green tomato here and there all summer long.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.