Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Custard

The farmers' market on Saturday was filled with pumpkins in all shapes, colors and sizes.  Colorful mums were all about.  While there were still tomatoes to bring home, apples were more abundant.  I'd already started pulling out fall recipes for apples and this one from Susan Herrmann Loomis' On Rue Tatin is always at the top of the list.  It's success depends on the apple and Granny Smith works for me.  Newton Pippin, Northern Spy or Jonathan's would work as well.  The apple brandy is optional, but adds a nice layer of flavor to the custard.



Apple Custard inspired by Susan Herrmann Loomis

1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
4 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp apple brandy (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2  egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2.  Cut the apples into eighths.  Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  When hot and foamy, add the apples and saute until golden all over, about ten minutes.  Add the 2 Tbsp of sugar and cook until the sugar has caramelized, shaking the pan so the apples and sugar are moving about and the sugar doesn't burn.  If using the brandy, remove the pan from the heat, add the brandy and ignite.  Swirl the pan about until the flames die down.
3.  Transfer the apples to a buttered Charlotte or souffle mold.  I used the Charlotte mold.
4.  Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks.  Whisk in the sugar, cream and vanilla until well combined. Pour over the apples.  Bake until the top is golden and slightly puffed, about 35 minutes.  Allow to sit for about half an hour before serving.

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. This sounds really good and I may try it!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never had fruit in custard, i love custard and mother used to make it all the time, and custard pies, this looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made this in an age and had forgotten how very very good this dessert can be. Thanks for the reminder. Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that does sound wonderful!!! I always love to see the pumpkins appear in the markets and farm stands! We are still quite warm here, but when it cools, we take our annual trek to go apple picking in the mountains and have such fun. I will be saving your recipe.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I don't care what kind of apple a recipe calls for, I always use fuji - I know, kind of hard to find at a farmers market, but they always hold their shape and have a sweet-tart taste to me.

    I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love custards and have never made or had one with fruit! I think this is going to get made in my kitchen before long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful taste of fall.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, perfect timing for me and my stash of apples.

    I think it was you who inspired me to buy Rue Tatin and fill my mental larder with Susan's words and images! I owe you a big thanks.

    Love,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of an apple custard. I love apples any ol' way but this is a unique one to me. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks as comforting and delicious as you can possibly get. So inviting and I bet the aroma is breathtaking! i would eat the whole pot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try this! It sounds so delicious and a real comforting dessert. I need to get some apple brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this sounds like a great dessert! I can almost smell the apples:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I maybe copying this. It sounds wonderful, and what better time to pull out the apple stops than this time of year. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you say "inspired by" I guess that you have made the recipe your own by tweaking it to your style and taste. That shows you're a good cook! :0 I think you are ahead of us in your autumn, and I must say I enjoyed the fresh cool air when I was up your way this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes I did have a jacket as you will see me with an umbrella in the corner of a photo. But I mostly wore a sweater. It was the wind that made it so cold!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I'm not ready for the departure of summer and the arrival of fall, but I do love apples, and this recipe sounds like a delicious use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds quite yummy!

    Hope all is well with you.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Rue Tatin. And I'm so ready for apples in my life.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love apples and your recipe sounds so good. I made an apple coffee cake for dinner tonight. It's a good thing I have extra people here to help eat it!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.