Monday, September 3, 2012

Golden Chioggia Beet Salad

There are nineteen days of summer left--almost three weeks.  It is a fact.  I know this.  Every year I tell myself to not rush autumn.  Savor the waning days of summer, I say.  It's almost impossible when all around me, there is a push to hurry the days along until the holiday season.  There are already ads out to reserve a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving.  The stores are ablaze in autumnal colors.  Soon carols and gaily colored decorations will greet us as we shop.

That said, I just couldn't resist these autumn-colored chioggia beets at Saturday's market.  I asked my favorite farmer to grow them for the market and she obliged a few years ago.  Chioggias are heirloom beets.  The red-stripped "candy canes" are the most popular but I love these yellow and orange ones.  Don't let their delicate color fool you.  They stand up to their bolder looking cousins, the reds, quite nicely.  I have found that roasting them maintains their "stripe".  When simmered in water, the colors tend to run together and the stripe is not well defined.

Here's the beet salad I did for our Sunday lunch.  I hope you'll give it a try.



Roasted Chioggia Beet Salad with Walnuts and Feta

1 pound of chioggia beets washed
Canola Oil

1.  Lightly oil the beets and wrap in foil.  If your beets aren't uniform in size, wrap the larger ones separately and put them in the oven first for a longer roasting.
2.  Heat the oven to 375 and roast the beets for 50 to 60 minutes, testing for doneness after about 45 minutes.
3.  Peel, slice and refrigerate until ready to put the salad together.

Mapled Walnuts

1 cup walnut halves
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

1.  In a saucepan over medium heat, toast the walnuts for about five minutes watching closely.
2.  Pour in the maple syrup, turn off the heat and toss the nuts about.
3.  Separate the nuts out on a piece of waxed paper and cool.

When ready to serve, plate some salad greens and top with the sliced beets, the mapled walnuts and some feta or bleu cheese crumbles.  Drizzle with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.

ENJOY!

30 comments:

  1. I've never seen beets this pretty Bonnie. How nice that she grew them for you. Thanks for the tips on how to cook them so they will keep their color. I cooked yellow and red beets together once and of course you know what happened.

    Hope you are having a nice long weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those beets,they are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ma headed to my garden soon to dig up some beets to make salad and perhaps soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, We love a good beet salad. I love to buy a combination of the various colors. I am not ready fot the hub bub of the holiday season, but I'm ready to put summer behind me. Hope you are having a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, We love a good beet salad. I love to buy a combination of the various colors. I am not ready fot the hub bub of the holiday season, but I'm ready to put summer behind me. Hope you are having a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I've still only had the red beets-I do love them though:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back..... do you know my granny was from CHioggia? That's near Venice. Have a great Labor Day, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! I'm so sorry that I cannot comment on your blog and I don't know why!!!!! Yes, the heirloom chioggia beets are from Italy. I should have mentioned that in my post.

      Best,
      Bonnie

      Delete
  8. my first ever Chioggia beets, never seen them striped like this, they may be there but don't remember them. i love beets so i am sure i would love these. come to FL and there is no autumn. we run the AC until Dec and sometimes have had to run AC on Christmas day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so pretty-I haven't seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks divine. I do love beets and goat cheese --

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good! How nice a farmer will grow something especially for you! That's service! Enjoy the slow start of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These beets are on my shopping list this Saturday! I love the color of these beets and their mild flavor. I could eat of plate of these for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That salad looks simply scrumptious and I'm not even a fan of beets. I may need to try them again in this.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had a mantle similar to what you described once ~ a long, 12-foot one over a fireplace and two built-in bookcases on either side. It's just so much mantle, it's hard to do anything with it. I ended up displaying photos on it and made the room into sort of our family room. It worked OK, but it still wasn't ideal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE roasted beets and this sounds so very delicious!! I too am savoring the last days of summer, Bonnie. I hate for the days to get shorter... blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have never seen a chioggia beet before- i learn something new everyday! lovely salad

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of those before. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of that those. I do love beets. Just reading about your salad causes a serious mouth watering! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have yet to try Chioggia beets, Bonnie, but this salad looks so pretty I'd love to make this very soon. The maple walnuts makes it perfect for any time of the year, but especially good for autumn.

    PS: Thank you for your kind words of encouragement to me as I prepare for this change in our lives. It's lots of work and worry but once it happens we will be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those beets are lovely! Beet salads are my very favorite lunch, too. Good recipe, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that looks so light and delicious! I wonder if our farmer's market has these beets. My husband loves beets so I may make this for him.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ummm! This looks and sounds so delicious! I will be trying to find them. And I can imagine how good your maple walnuts are in the beet salad! By the way, I saw a ton of Christmas decorations and many decorated trees at a store near us a week ago. I couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always get sad when I know fall is right around the corner and wish for spring to start again. I've never seen that type of beet but next time I visit my farmers' market I'll look for them. I love beets and beet salads!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am craving fall weather. Its easy for me to say because I live in Florida, and being hot everyday grows old (smile).
    Beautiful salad. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I liked beets! The only way I've liked them was in a hummus - they are only slightly sweet then!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/04/18/bsi-beets/

    Enjoy our cooler temps this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie, this sounds delicious. I haven't seen the beets you use in our local markets, so I'll have to use another variety. I love the color of your salad and after reading through your recipe, I suspect your kitchen is never in need of help for anything other than the dishes :-). Forgive mylate response. I've been in Charlotte and I'm still playing catch-up. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. The salad looks amazing, inviting and colorful. The summer is almost gone and I, too, count the days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love those beets! That looks like a wonderful salad Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.
    religion and food
    christian hospitality

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.