Monday, October 1, 2012

Roasted Tomato Sauce or....

...how Mary got me sauced!

I've never tried to hide my tomato addiction.  Both kitchen windowsills are lined with colorful tomatoes all summer long.  Bowls of cherry tomatoes wait their turn to star in salads or to be oven dried for a winter's day.  I've laboriously blanched and peeled cheerful red Romas to turn into a sauce.  And then along came Mary's post over on Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes.  She, thanks to Susan of From Beyond My Kitchen Window, had posted a recipe for roasted tomato sauce.  It was so simple that I did a double take!!  Then I took myself to market, picked up these and got to work



The recipe is so simple that it practically makes itself.  Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Quarter the tomatoes.  Toss with a little olive oil.  Throw in a few garlic cloves.  Spread out on a lined baking pan and roast for about 45 minutes.  NO PEELING!!  Place all into a bowl and puree with an immersion blender or a regular blender.  Mary, an expert canner, did her sauce in jars for the pantry.  Pop over to see how she did them.




I'm a "wanna be" canner but have no equipment and no expertise.   I think the Ball Canning Jar folks created these freezer containers just for me.  They come in cup, pint and quart sizes.  I just happened upon them a few years ago and have found many uses.

This simple approach to tomato sauce creates a delicious treat.  A bonus is the aroma wafting about the kitchen during roasting.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. that smell would be better than glade or febreeze for sure. looks great from here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will get me some tomatoes too. Sounds too easy and so good....must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds so simple and flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The aroma is wonderful isn't it! I miss my homegrown tomatoes!!!!
    XO KRis

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good, I remember when we use to make our own spaghetti sauce...I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to can ... in my earlier days. :) Freezing this amazing recipe sounds perfect.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also remember canning quarts and quarts of tomatoes, my mother in law still does but I have been freezing mine for years, sounds amazing this does, yum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to have this in the freezer for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Love your intro into this post! Nothing beats a good tomato sauce and especially one you can stock away for when needed! This looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't your home smell great!!! I'm so thrilled you liked it! I have not tried the freezer containers - yet! I look at them every year . . . maybe next year!

    Thanks for the link-back too!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on the freezer containers - and this looks and sounds terrific. I bet it did smell wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I've tried it once or twice, canning still scares me since things could go very back if the seal isn't correct. I love your idea of the freezer containers! I saw Mary's post too but wasn't able to get to the farmers' market to get a big basket of Romas. Hopefully, this week! I do want to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I meant can go very bad :) I should proof read before I hit 'Publish'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to make my husband take the tomato skin off when he made his gravy - now I just puree everything and it saves a step - nothing like your own pasta sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never canned tomatoes and think freezing might me best. Jams don't scare me, but other foods do. I may need to buy more tomatoes. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do jams and orange marmalade. I figure there is so much sugar that nothing bad will grow in the jar!!

      Delete
  16. My canning days are over and freezing sauces works great. Aren't immersion blends the greatest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I've only had mine for a short while and don't know how I ever managed without it.

      Delete
  17. No doubt this is a winner! I have some of those freezer jars and they come in very handy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a food blogger, but I totally feel like I could do this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't this sauce great. I didn't can as many jars as Mary this year, but I will next year. I just used a quart this week when I made vegetable soup.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.