Our usual corned beef dinner provides too many leftovers when just the two of us are celebrating the "wearing o' the green". When this recipe appeared in the Chicago Tribune a few years ago, I decided to give it a try. It was delicious! I'm making it again this year so I guess it has become a tradition. The recipe is for two but we found it more than ample for four. Since we were only two, leftovers were enjoyed a few days later. The dish, sauce and all, reheated very nicely.
I will be visiting a local deli for a few slices of corned beef to make reuben sandwiches later in the week!!
Gaelic Steak inspired by a recipe in the Chicago Tribune
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 NY strip steaks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large shallot, minced
4 ounces mushrooms (crimini, shitake or a mixture), sliced
1 tsp honey
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 Tbsp Irish whiskey
3/4 cup beef stock
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1. Heat butter and oil together in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add the steaks and saute 3-4 minutes on each side for rare to medium rare (or to taste).
Transfer to a warm plate and cover. Place in warm oven while finishing the dish.
3. Add the garlic, shallot and mushrooms to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes.
4. Stir in the honey and mustard and cook for another minute.
5. Add the whiskey and stock, raise the heat and and cook until reduced in half, about 5 minutes.
6. Lower the heat a bit and stir in the cream. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and leave on low heat while preparing the steaks.
7. Slice the steaks, on the diagonal, about 1/4 inch thick. Add back to the sauce until just heated through.
ENJOY!
ENJOY!
That sounds wonderful...I love mushrooms and the mustard, whiskey, stock sauce...what a delicious meal!
ReplyDeleteThis looks perfect! And since I like corned beef only in sandwiches, I think this is a great alternative!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about too many leftovers, Bonnie. Even when I buy a small corned beef it is way too much. I know I would love this sauce on a nice NY strip steak.
ReplyDeleteYum sounds really good!
ReplyDeleteThe ingredients sound wonderful so I'm sure the dish is as well. Too bad we live so far away! We'd take care of the left overs!
ReplyDeleteThat looks delicious! I've just recently started trying and liking mushrooms. My husband would be all over this one - thanks Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteThis looks even more Irish than anything!!! And I love strip steaks, we just had some last night. Sliced super thin in sandwiches.
ReplyDeletethe mushrooms on top is the best part! Love it
ReplyDeleteThis really sounds like a great dinner-enjoy:@)
ReplyDeleteThis sounds yummy! Perfect for an Irish celebration.
ReplyDeleteThat looks delicious, Bonnie... Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
I bet the Irish whiskey give this an incredible flavor Bonnie.
ReplyDeleteSam
I'm not a fan of Irish whiskey but it adds such delicious flavor to cooked dishes. This looks really good!!
ReplyDeleteNice that you found a new favorite! I know what you mean... I'm not going to make corned beef this year... it's just too much for the two of us. Getting a few slices from the deli is a great idea.
ReplyDelete