Friday, April 19, 2013

Haricots Vert and Tomato Salad

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of fresh local produce.  With the rain and cool temperatures, it will be awhile before we have even asparagus.  When I found bags of those wonderful French green beans (haricot vert) at Costco, I knew we would have this salad for dinner and a few lunches to come.  Even though they had traveled quite a way, they were very good.

After two days of thinking we'd need to make ark reservations, the rain has stopped and it's spitting snow outside!!  Undaunted, I'm sharing my spring salad with you.



Green Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Green onions

1 pound haricot vert
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp superfine sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Green onions, thinly sliced

1.  Start a pot of water, deep enough to cover the beans, to boiling.  Add salt and the beans.  Cook until the beans are fork tender, about five minutes.  Drain and put the beans into a bowl.  Add the tomatoes and onions.
2.  Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.  Slowly whisk in the oil.
3.  Pour enough of the dressing into the hot beans, tomatoes and onions to coat and toss well.  Cover the bowl and leave at room temperature until they are cool.  Refrigerate and enjoy until they are gone.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. Gosh ----Old Man Winter is killing all of us!!!! It's gotten colder here too--and we had lots of rain and HIGH winds during the night... Gads!!!!

    Your salad looks great --but today's lunch here is Chicken Tuscany Soup!!!! Yum....

    Have a WARM weekend....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! It is horrible here this morning; raining, then snowing like mad and the wind is blowing and howling like crazy. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you did not need the ark reservations.. hope it has stopped now

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. O.K. Costco does not really get these beans from France, right??? That is just their NAME? I am going there in a week or so, I will look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. In fact, our favorite farmer grows them right here in the midwest. It's just too early for them.

      Delete
  5. Love these beans and I am going to try this recipe. I heard from my sister about all their flooding from the rain. My, I hope your snow doesn't last! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your salad sounds great, we've been on a green bean kick! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, We are once again facing a frost warning tonight. Yesterday I watched the temperatures drop almost 30 degrees in an hour. Have a safe weekend. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looks salad Bonnie with some of my favorite ingredients. I know this sounds amazing, but I can find very nice haricots vert in a bag at our WalMart.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring served on a plate!! Looks as beautiful as it sounds like it will taste! thank you, Bonnie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've taken to "frying" all my veggies on the stove top with olive oil and some seasonings! I'm completely in love with this new method!

    I am NOT; however, in love with the weather I have been seeing out my window these past few days. The sleet and snow were particularly annoying. Someone needs to tell Mother Nature to check her darned calendar!

    Here's to warmer days and fresh green vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious.I love fresh green beans. I can't wait for summer to come so I can buy them at the farm. They are still warm when they bring them in the stand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This weather has been crazy! I couldn't believe the snow squalls on Friday.

    Your bean salad certainly look like spring, even if the weather hasn't been helping with the aura.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have never thought to add the tomatoes with my green beans- at least not in this way- I sometimes do it in a roux but this looks refreshing and light. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous combination. This sounds delicious. Bonnie, may I ask how you normally access my blog? When you get a minute, please let me know via email - oneperfectbite at yahoo dot com. At the moment I have no idea what might be going on. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.