Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits


I pulled out the biscuit cutter early Sunday morning and baked some biscuits for The Baker.  When he makes biscuits, he uses Mark Bittman's recipe.  My biscuits are from a faded and spattered recipe card that doesn't say whose biscuits are penned on it.  I do know that it is not my mother's recipe.  So far as memory takes me, she didn't make biscuits from scratch.  She made them from a can.  It wasn't as easy as it sounds.  You see, mother could not bring herself to pop open those cans.  No, she would corner one of us three girls to open the can for her.  When we balked, she offered up a dime for our trouble.  This was all well and good until we tried to hold those biscuits hostage by asking for a quarter to pop the can.  It was the end of her largesse.  Ever after, we were told to open the can!





SOUTHERN BISCUITS

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, ice cold
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450

Combine dry ingredients in bowl of a food processor.

Cut the butter into chunks (about 1/2 tbsp each) and pulse into flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal. This only takes a few pulses.

Add the buttermilk and pulse just until combined. If mixture appears on the dry side, add a little more buttermilk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board.

Ever so gently, pat (don't use a rolling pin) the dough out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.

Cut into rounds.

Gently knead the scraps together to cut out more. These last biscuits will not be as flaky or as pretty but will be tasty.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until golden brown--about 18 to 20 minutes.  Check at 15 minutes.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. These look good..as a young bride..mine were in a can too ..I was never crazy about popping it..:)Our turnovers were from a can too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember popping those cans! Especially those that were "duds." I've never gotten into the biscuit culture down here in the south, especially the "biscuits and gravy" that is so loved for breakfast. I'm sure may like it too much if I tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy is right - perfect for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always hated opening those cans. I rarely use them ... but love the idea of paying someone else to do it. :)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what? I hated opening those cans, the POP always scared me!

    xo, Bonnie

    PS Your biscuits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than Southern biscuits! Except maybe, to slather some homemade gravy all over the tops of them!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...a warm biscuit with butter melting over it...heavenly! Homemade biscuits are the very best.

    We used can ones too. I was always afraid it was going to explode, not just open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so funny! It must have been fun with you girls in the family! Are you talking about the cans that POP open? And it scared her? I don't like opening them myself either. You never know when that creepy little Dough Boy will jump out at you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, those look really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your biscuits look wonderful. I've made them from scratch a few times but they always seem so small and flat compared to those in the can that pops! I make them (or open a can) along with chicken gravy which brings a few YUM's from my bunch =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for buttermilk biscuits! I am going on vacation again in July and plan to make biscuits and gravy for the family at the lake house one morning.

    I am going to The Little Goat for dinner tonight - cannot wait!:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never made biscuits right. Have tried numerous recipes...even angel biscuits that have yeast but they never are tall and fluffy. Guess i have what you call "biscuit envy".

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're extreme biscuit fiends in this household Pam. Can't wait to try your recipe which I know will be excellent. Hope you're having a wonderful summer!

    xo
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.