Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fruit Salad with Walnuts and Chevre

Did I mention that I committed to preparing three meals on Father's Day?  Well, I did!  What was I thinking?  Actually, I was thinking about how The Baker stepped up (literally) to the "plate" on Mother's Day.  He asked me how I wanted to celebrate "my" day and I told him I didn't even want to get dressed.  Rather, I'd prefer to have a leisurely breakfast while reading the papers.  Later, I'd sink down into my favorite chair with a good book.  A good movie, at home, would be the perfect end to the day.  Oh, and "please make me good food".  He came through!  How could I not do the same.

The biscuits in my previous post were for his breakfast accompanied by scrambled eggs with ham and scallions.  Lunch came to the table in the form of this delicious fruit salad with chevre.  There were a few hunks of French bread to sop up the juices.

The recipe for the dressing is a take on one I had at Nordstrom's cafe in Orlando a few year's ago. It was stored in my "delicious food memory bank" and surfaced when I saw a box of perfect organic strawberries at the market.  


Fresh Fruit Salad with Walnuts, Chevre and Berry Balsamic Dressing 

Chevre 

4 ounces of chevre,  sliced in 1/2" rounds
2 Tbsp plain toasted bread crumbs
1 Tbsp canola oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Dip each slice of chevre into the oil and then the bread crumbs to coat both sides.
Place on an oiled pan and roast until golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

Salad

Small head of Boston lettuce, torn into pieces
1 ripe kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 cup strawberries, halved
1/2 cup toasted walnuts

1.  Toss together and top with the chevre
2.  Drizzle with the dressing and pass extra.

Dressing:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp minced roasted garlic
1/2 cup fruit preserve (I used mixed berry)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  In a small saucepan, bring the balsamic vinegar and sugar to a simmer over medium heat and stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar.  Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by about 1/3, stirring occasionally.  This takes about ten minutes.
2.  Add the garlic and fruit preserves and cook for a minute longer.  Remove from the heat and cool.
3.  Whisk in the red wine vinegar and then the canola oil.  Season with the salt and pepper.

ENJOY!


20 comments:

  1. You and your husband so tenderly care for each other! I love how you celebrate mealtime. And this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be so good..I remember the PJ day..good for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy, I'd love to have this for lunch today! Love your story of how you spent Mother/Father's day! Did you hear the news about some big time gambling ring they busted in La Jolla?

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that salad had my mouth watering, and it isn't even 8 am here!!! Such a lovely summer salad. I love to serve salads in the summer, as our meals. I usually add some chicken or tuna, and make it the main course.
    Happy day to you!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sure that The Gardener was well pleased with his culinary treats for Father's Day. This salad sounds perfect... but, it's those biscuits I find myself envying. ;) blessings ~ tanna
    ps the quote about father's was right on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit that I do not know what Chevre is!! But it sounds fancy and a bit french. Now we have to see the dinner!!! It is just so nice that you can cook for each other, and ARE good cooks. Hey, how come you call him The Baker? Is it that he is a really good baker or what? By the way, he can feel free to visit me any time, and I will give him a free tour around the kitchen! Phil is so willing, but pretty much canned soup and toast is it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of meals. Your salad looks perfect for this summer heat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great winning recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a delicious salad. And I am so impressed that you can taste a dressing in a restaurant and then duplicate it at home...without a recipe. I don't have (never have had) that kind of culinary ability. That's why I appreciate that you share!

    Thanks,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this salad with toasted walynuts look delicious!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always eat so well! The salad is beautiful and looks very tasty too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks yummy! I put more fruits in my salads than veggies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved hearing about all the goodness you prepared for that special day and this salad looks and sounds especially delicious. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Turnabout is only fair....and you did a smashing job. The biscuits look light as air and the salad delicious. I do love chevre in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reciprocation is a marvelous thing! The salad would make any occasion special and I am sure he enjoyed it. I hope your weekend is off to a great start. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Living at a country away from yours, I am not sure if I can find the ingredients as per your recipes. I am thinking of ways of how I can use the local ingredients to come closer to your attractive salad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had to have pleased your husband...the breakfast and lunch sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it that you and The Baker cook for each other on your special days. That's the best gift of all. Lovely salad, Bonnie. The dressing sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it that you and The Baker cook for each other on your special days. That's the best gift of all. Lovely salad, Bonnie. The dressing sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a busy but good day!

    The salad sounds delish.

    : o )

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.