Monday, June 10, 2013

Chicken Dijonnaise

The weekend was spectacular in our little corner of the midwest.  There were a few complaints from those who wanted to spend some time in the water--too cold!  For those of us who wanted to spend time in the garden, a high of 70 degrees seemed perfect.  The Baker mowed the lawn while I read on the front porch--ah, the smell of freshly cut grass!   

An early morning trip to the farmers' market yielded more fresh asparagus.  I prepared it simply by bringing salted water to a boil, adding the asparagus and cooking it for about three minutes.  The spears remained a delicious green and needed no further embellishment.  In fact, I didn't even spritz them with lemon juice this time.  It was the perfect plate partner for the Chicken Dijonnaise!



Chicken Dijonnaise inspired by a Chicago Tribune Recipe

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
2 Tbsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

1.  Heat one tablespoon of the butter with the two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides (about four minutes total for thin pieces and a bit more for thicker).  Transfer to a platter, cover and keep warm.
2.  Add the remaining butter to the skillet.  Add the shallots, reduce the heat to medium and cook until softened, about a minute.  Add the wine, broth and garlic.  Heat to a boil.  Cook until the liquid is reduced to about half a cup.
3.  Whisk in the half and half and mustard.  Cook until slightly thickened--a minute or so--, stir in the thyme.
4.  Return the chicken and any juices to the pan and slowly heat through, turning the pieces in the sauce for about four minutes.
5.  Lightly nap with the sauce and garnish with the fresh parsley.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. Well, if the baker is mowing the grass, he is obviously feeling very much better! I'm so glad to hear that.

    That chicken looks absolutely delish! I will be pinning the recipe to my chicken page. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bowl of blooms and petals is so pretty too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Bonnie! Your weekend sound wonderful. We had beautiful weather as well. The chicken looks delicious. I love using what I find at the farmer's market as inspiration for meals. Have a wonderful week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds divine! I love asparagus cooked just barely, leaving them crisp!
    Your chicken sounds wonderful. Must try!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoyed perfect weekend weather here as well!! Yea! This chicken dish looks perfect for as accompaniment to asparagus... nope, that is not backwards. hee hee. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dijon is one of those little things that makes me happy. So is 70 degree weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing, and all these flavors go so well with chicken. We've been having the perfect spring weather here in Florida...so rare that you have cool nights and mornings in May. Now we are getting the much needed rain (of course we didn't need it all in a few days, thanks to TS Andrea).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a wonderful weekend, yes I too love the scent of freshly mowed grass. The chicken looks delicious--I can't believe how many of your recipes come from the chicago Trib! They must publish good ones. I wonder if they ever put them in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good, I need to try it! Sounds like you had a superb weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie, What a wonderful meal --and so healthy... Wish I could taste some fresh asparagus. We went to our local Farmers Market here last Wed. --but they didn't have much. I was hoping to get some strawberries and some tomatoes --but none to be had...

    Glad you had such a wonderful weekend. 70's is my favorite temperature during the entire year....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. No doubt I would love this chicken! I always think mustard is a great addition. Glad you had a nice weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great Bonnie. I love using mustard with chicken. I'm glad you and the Baker had a lovely weekend with some nice weather to go along with it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love using mustard in just about anything and this is a perfect dish for it! It looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a perfect weekend! The chicken looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love chicken with a mustard sauce...yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks delicious & mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.