Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes? No!

If you've known me for a while, you'll know that I love tomatoes.  I do--and I've never adjusted to the late and short midwest growing season of these fruits.  When they do arrive in our farmers markets, I'm one happy tomato eater!  I had to send The Baker to Saturday's market as I had a meeting.  When I got home, I found these sitting on the kitchen windowsill.  These four had to come off the vines for various reasons and my favorite farmer had put them aside for me.  I know she was thinking I'd fry them up in a pan.  I was thinking the same thing.  I thought so long that one started to ripen.  Then I had an idea.


I decided to experiment with using them fresh.  I cut them in good-sized chunks and sprinkled them with salt, pepper and about 1/3 teaspoon of sugar.  I added a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and set them aside on the kitchen counter for about four hours.  Every time I passed the bowl, I stirred them about.



I then prepared 4 ounces of rigatoni and stirred in two tablespoons of mayonnaise, two green onions finely chopped, two carrots finely chopped and those tomatoes and the juices that had collected in the bowl.  Just before serving for lunch, I added a handful of feta cheese.



It turned out to be fairly tasty.  The tomatoes were, of course, crunchy but tasted like tomatoes.  Sad, I know!  However, I think this will be a good dish once those tomatoes ripen on the vine!!

19 comments:

  1. My favorite vegetable is tomatoes. I only like home grown ones. I will not buy them in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds good to me... i love tomatoes to. daddy grew everything we ate, and mother pickled green tomatoes, she called it relish, but it was sliced green maters with slices of onion, the longer they sat the better they got. she never fried them because daddy could not eat fried foods. i love them like apples, on sandwiches, any way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea..I thought it was to be a warm pasta dish which so many of us love..but no!
    Good idea Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impatiently waiting for home grown ripe tomatoes too, Bonnie. Every year I say I'm going to fry some green ones but never seem to get around to it. Maybe this year. You created a very nice little lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our tomatoes are slow coming in this year as well. The lack of spring sunshine. Maybe it means we will have them longer. I do love some fried green tomatoes. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds SO good and all created by YOU! I see you are one who can just put ingredients together and make your own recipe, instead of just following one. This has got to be something you are born with, or else you watched your mom cook all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every creative! You would be in tomato heaven if you were at my house! I can't give them away fast enough! We have tomatoes on everything!!!! Sorry, didn't mean to brag, just wish I could share them with you!!!
    xo KRis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we could enjoy tomatoes from our garden all summer, but it's such a short growing season, we won't be able to pick tomatoes for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooops! Our tomatoes are still in the cartons ready to be planted but time just gets away. This looks very interesting to try. Last summer I had tons of small green tomatoes at the end of the season. I made pickles out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My parents are from Virginia, so grew up on fried Green tomatoes - I didn't have them until a few months ago, and holy moly, are they good - they tasted more like zucchini to me than tomatoes!

    I am so happy the sun is out today Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this!! I've had tomato disasters and can pick them up and do something other than frying them now.

    THANKS dear,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks good and it sounds good. Crunchy can be nice ... but I'm sure the flavor of a ripened tomato would be outstanding in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a delicious idea Bonnie and also love tpmatos here we are in winter so is difficult find good tomatos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I may have tried a relish-type project with them, eating them green like that would never have crossed my mind! That was adventurous! And yep, I can't wait for the ripe ones too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you love when something you put together like
    this comes out.
    Great idea.

    :o )

    ReplyDelete
  16. fantastic idea! I always loved making green tomato chutney 'back in the day'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my favorites for the green tomatoes is the relish/chutney they always serve with fried catfish in the south. ;) This salad sounds delicious, though I think I'd like a ripe tomato. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. How clever you are to use the tomatoes in the pasta salad. We have had rain for so many days...I don't know if we will have much of a crop of tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great recipe - full of great ingredients and flavors - love the use of the green tomatoes in this salad!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.