Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chicken Curry

When we moved to Charleston, S.C., I never expected to find myself surrounded with people from all over the world.  Of course, I looked forward to being back in the south and in the heart of southern hospitality.  I got the best of both worlds!  Shortly after settling in, I met Kuki B.  A navy wife, both she and her husband were originally from New Delhi.  Through our years of friendship, she tutored me in the fine art of Indian cuisine.  It soon became apparent to me that a bottle of curry powder was not in her spice cabinet!  Instead, there were neatly categorized rows of green and brown cardamom pods, varied peppercorns and garam masala to name a few.  The curry powders, Kuki told me, were put together for the English to take back with them after the raj.  She, like all but the lazy (her words) Indian cooks, put together her own spice blends for each dish.  Following suit, at one time I had 27 herbs and spices in my spice cabinet!  I'm sure of this number as our younger son was the winner at school when told to count the number of herbs and spices at home.  The problem is, unless you do a lot of Indian dishes, the spices lose their freshness rather quickly.  That is my excuse these days.  It sounds better than saying I've gotten lazy!  So, with apologies to my dear friend, here is a simple and delicious curry that utilizes the bottle of golden curry powder sitting in my spice cabinet.  


Chicken Curry For Four inspired by a N.Y. Times recipe

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/4 cup raisins
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp curry powder
8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
1 cup sour cream
Parsley for garnish

1.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onions, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring frequently about five minutes.  Add the raisins and cook another minute.  Turn the heat down to medium and add 1 tsp of curry powder.  Continue cooking another two minutes.
2.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the remainder of the curry powder.
3.  In the pan, make room for the chicken, add and cook for about three minutes on each side, or until cooked through.  Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover.
4.  Add the sour cream and stir constantly until the mixture is thick, about a minute.  Add the chicken back to the pan and cook, on medium low heat, another two minutes, turning a few times.
4.  Serve over couscous or rice and garnish with the parsley.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. I've never tried curry and think I might pick up a jar! Your chicken looks great and sounds tasty:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an eye opener for me to learn that "curry" was not just one spice. I, too, have become accustomed to a variety of spices over the years -- even have a mortar and pestle on hand for grinding. But, alas, no Indian tutor!

    I love this simple dish, lazy or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen curry recipes, so kind of knew in the back of my mind it was comprised of several elements.
    I'd love this because the sour cream cuts the curry a bit...never have been a huge curry fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny I love the taste of curry and Jacques doesn't..an asian friend over 30 yrs ago..made me my first dish..
    It's comfort food to me on rice:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always this looks and sounds delicious. How wonderful to have someone to cook with. I have so many herbs and spices in my cabinet. I now save my bottles and buy just what I need at Whole Foods. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your friend would understand. I certainly do and I never frown at anything that works:-). This sounds delicious. Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this chicken curry, I love curry and this look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, looks good!!!!
    Happy Day to you Bonnie!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds really good, Bonnie! I use Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I LOVE curry! My mother never used spices (except garlic and salt), so it wasn't until I was in my early 20's (and living on my own) that I had my first encounter with curry. I was smitten at first bite!! I do, though, need a mild, rather than hot, blend.

    This recipe looks delicious. I'd like to come to dinner tonight!

    Blessings to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, YUM! I haven't had curry ANYTHING in such a long time. When I cooked more as a young wife I always had a bottle, it is totally unlike anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've eaten curry over the years, but the taste just doeesn't appeal to me. I do like the red or green curry paste, though. They must be two different things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious and I will sure be copying it to try! Great recipes always can be found here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm I can smell it cooking. The scent of curry is so comforting to me. I have a good Indian friend and of course it reminds me of her and her wonderful cooking. I'm craving it after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love curry! I use the spice from a jar too- I guess I'm one of the lazy cooks! This looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so very, very delicious, Bonnie. Just wish I could smell it... and then taste it. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds yummy! We used to make chicken with rice, and add some curry powder. That's pretty yummy to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum yum yum yum yum! That is really all I can think to say other than my husband would love this and he would try it and his reply would then be YUM YUM YUM! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.