Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Tale of Two Relishes

"If you pickle it, I will eat it" is a fairly accurate statement.  If tested, there are a few things I might turn down.  I hope I don't lose any friends over this admission--I have even eaten pickled pigs' feet!!  There!  
I feel better with that off my chest.  If, by chance, you haven't tried them and want to, your local grocer just might carry them.  When my sweet, dainty southern mother came to live with us some year's ago, I took her with me to the grocery store.  I suggested she take a cart and pick up some things she'd like to see in our food supply.  When we met up a few aisles later, there in her basket was a jar of pickled pigs' feet.  The two of us did not have to protect that snack from being devoured by the rest of the family!!  

Marinated cucumbers are, to my way of thinking, fresh pickles.  I keep a bowl in the refrigerator all summer long.  I can't think of many meals that aren't made better by having a small helping on the plate.

For the past few years, I've added the red onion relish to our summer menu.  It is delicious on hamburgers, hot dogs (well, it would be if we ever had hot dogs), grilled cheese sandwiches and
________ (fill in the blank)!!  

Here are the recipes.




Red Onion Relish from Piret's

1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 pound red onions
1 large garlic clove
2 Tbsp canola oil
Salt to taste

1.  Combine the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.  Set aside.
2.  Cut the onions in half, lengthwise and thinly slice.  Separate the layers.  Flatten the garlic with the side of a knife and remove the skin.
3.  Heat the oil in a heavy skillet large enough to hold the onions.  Add the oil and heat.  Add the garlic and fry for a few seconds, pressing if and stirring it around the pan.  Remove
4.  Scatter the onions about the pan and cook, stirring, for about four minutes, until translucent.  Salt to taste.  Pour in the sauce, stir and cook for another two minutes.
5.  The relish can be served immediately or jarred with the sauce poured over and refrigerated for up to a week.  It is delicious right out of the pan, at room temperature or chilled.

Cucumber Relish

1 large hothouse cucumber (or 5 to 6 small pickling cucumbers), peeled or not, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
pinch of red pepper flakes

1.  In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, salt, sugar and red pepper flakes.  Heat and stir until the salt and sugar is dissolved.  Cool.
2.  Combine the cucumbers and the marinade.  Refrigerate for at least four hours.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. Never had pig's feet---and don't think I'll ever try them!!!!!! ha ha ... BUT--I love relish --and I love a bowl of cucumbers and onions in vinegar on the dinner table during the summer. YUM... Thanks for the recipes. I'd like them both!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am with you all the way but NOT the feet part... yuck... but i do love just about anything pickled. since daddy grew everything we ate mother pickled just about anything she could put in a jar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Oz.. receommends eating pickled things befre a main meal:) Vinegar is good for us:)

    Love onion relishes.. must admit to having succumbed and pinned a bacon onion jam:)
    I am pickling and preserving also these days Bonnie..feels good doesn't it?

    Thanks for the recipes~

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our house, it is cucumbers and onions together. Very similar recipe to your cucumbers, but add paper thin slices of red or vidalia onions (cut on a mandolin). I also prefer my cucumbers cut that thin on a mandolin. Some days, I use fresh dill as well. Other days, instead of vinegar and sugar, I use greek yogurt or sour cream and dill. Always have to have a cucumber salad though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I need to try pickling something. I have never done that before!!!! I should have with all of my cucumbers this summer!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That onion relish sure does look good! I've never eaten pickled pigs feet, but do use them fresh then cooked in my Portuguese Kale Soup. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly could do that cucumber pickling, it sounds so good and we have an abundance from the garden right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! How long will the cucumbers keep? Guess what? Last night I made your pancetta and bowties dish. We LOVED it!!! BUT I must admit to using fried ham instead of pancetta! I will make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps about a week if you don't eat it first.

      Delete
  9. that red onion relish looks divine! I could put that on just about anything- including hot dogs or my favorite roasted turkey and avocado sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am passing this on to my BIL who will love every word of this. The both look fabulous Bonnie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pickled Pigs Feet!?!?!?!? I'm ok with it, just don't tell Earl:@) I was totally surprised to see soy sauce in a pickled recipe! Neat idea and I'll be passing it on to a foodie friend too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I am with you on MOST pickled things - but pigs feet? I'd have to try it with my eyes closed!

    Hope you are enjoying our cool weather - love not having the air on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. oH YES!! We love cucumbers that way!! They are a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our family almost always had something pickled along with our meals. And, I do like pickled pig's feet. LOL! ;) Haven't tried the onion relish! thank you!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Coming by via Ginny's blog.. hope to make friends with you through our blogs.. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a big fan of relishes. They are great additions to sandwiches, sure, but I also love to include one or two varieties when I make up a fruit and cheese board. The red onion relish is calling my name. Thanks, I'm trying this.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.