Friday, August 9, 2013

Spicy Hoisin Chicken

There was a half-full jar of hoisin sauce in the refrigerator and a package of chicken thighs in the freezer.  It was time for the two to meet.  I have done this recipe since October 2, 2004.  I've used  thighs and legs but thighs are our favorite.  The original recipe calls for bone-in, skin-on chicken.  If you use the bone-in, increase the roasting time to 30 minutes or so.  It's especially good accompanied by fried rice.  Any leftover pieces make a nice lunch for the cook the next day.  It's the perfect picnic fare,  accompanied by moist cloths for those not into "finger licking good".   It was our contribution to a group picnic at the carillon concert at the Chicago Botanic gardens a few years ago where it was a big hit!  


Spicy Hoisin Chicken inspired by Gourmet Magazine

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless

Preheat oven to 500 degrees
1.  Oil a baking sheet, line with foil and oil the foil.
2.  Whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken.  Coat the chicken with the sauce and place in the pan in one layer, serving side up.
3.  Place pan in the upper third of the oven and reduce the heat to 425.
4.  Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the glaze is browned, about 20 minutes.

ENJOY!


15 comments:

  1. A perfect recipe..nice combination of chicken and hoisin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never liked chicken thighs for the longest time - just told myself I didn't like dark meat. It's amazeballs! I cook with it all the time, especially since my store routinely sells it for .99 cents a pound.

    Enjoy our gorgeous weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantabulous. My powers know no limits :-). I'm now creating words. Have a great weekend, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good!! Can you believe I have never used Hoisin sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be enjoying this one tomorrow!! Thank you, Bonnie!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never used Hoisin sauce, either! Will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very flavorful sauce! I've been craving chicken and think I need to do something about that... Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how I love spicy. This looks wonderful! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect "finger lickin" picnic food- love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that sounds so good!!!
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I can see why it was "finger licking good!" It looks delicious! I have thighs in the freezer but, I've never used hoison sauce and will have to check it out. Have a good weekend and enjoy this great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicken thighs are perfect for a spicy hoisin sauce. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi There, I'm back after a big birthday week. Trying to catch up a little on my blogging.

    That photo made my mouth water. That chicken looks so delicious...YUM. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spicy Asian food. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.