Monday, August 12, 2013

Ginger Ice Cream

Although we are still enjoying mild summer days, the ice cream maker has been sitting idle.  When I brought it out yesterday, Andrew asked where I'd been hiding it!!  It was time to get busy and make us a cold treat.

Ginger ice cream is a favorite, especially a favorite of our younger son and I wish he'd been here to enjoy it with us.  He, however, makes a delicious bowlful!  I have used another ginger ice cream recipe from time to time.  This recipe, which has been nestled in my cooking file for more than a decade called out to me.  I'm so glad that I heeded that call as this is the best ginger ice cream I've ever tasted.  Unlike my other recipe, it uses milk and heavy cream instead of just heavy cream.  It has three egg yolks instead of five.  That means one can have an extra scoop and not feel too guilty.  The addition of the crystallized ginger elevates it to a delicious plateau.  I used King Arthur Flour's crystallized ginger in syrup and highly recommend it.



Ginger Ice Cream from an old recipe card (no name but many thanks to the ice cream maker who gave it to me)

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 1/4 cups 1% milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger

1.  Simmer the water, sugar and fresh ginger for five minutes, stirring occasionally, to make a light syrup.  Cool.
2.  In another pan, scald the milk and cream (hot but don't boil).  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the second 1/3 cup of sugar and the ginger syrup.  Cool.
3.  Strain the ginger solids from the milk mixture and discard the solids.
4.  Stir the egg yolks and the crystallized ginger into the milk mixture.  Return the mixture to the heat and use a double boiler or be very careful.  I prefer to be very careful!  DO NOT ALLOW TO COME TO A BOIL.
5.  Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes a thin custard and barely coats a spoon.  Cool and chill.
6.  Prepare your ice-cream maker (I use a Cuisinart which takes about 30 minutes).  After the ice cream maker does it's part,  spoon the frozen mixture into a freezer-proof container and freeze for at least two hours.
7.  Spoon into bowls.

ENJOY!





21 comments:

  1. I LOVE home-made ice cream of any kind.... YUM... Never had ginger ice cream though...Sounds terrific.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed a white tea and ginger ice cream not long ago while celebrating our anniversary. It was divine! I'd never had ginger in ice cream and now I wonder why not! Thank you for sharing your recipe, Bonnie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is so refreshing..with the tang of the ginger? Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love ice cream... mothers banana home made was my favorite, peach was second and vanilla third. i have not had home made ice cream in about 40 years

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is enough to make me run out and buy an ice-cream maker!!! This is NOT a high calorie dessert, ginger is very good for nausea! Good medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't brought out my ice cream maker once this year! My daughter was the ice cream person in our family, she moved out over a year ago which is probably why I haven't used it!

    I've never had ginger ice cream but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have GOT to try this. We have a Don Vier, and it is sadly in need of a workout. My daughter recently made a basil gellato (delish), but other than that, our poor DV hasn't seen much use.

    I love love love crystallized ginger. I get it in the bulk bin at our grocery store, and I eat it like candy.

    Anyhow, this is a must-try recipe. I am pinning it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly the kind of ice cream I make when I do! Your ginger version sounds very tasty and I bet it didn't last long:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade ice cream is the best. It brings back summer memories from the past. But I've never tasted tasted ginger ice cream,sigh...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect summertime treat! I've never had ginger ice cream, but am positive I'd love it. Thanks for the recipe and have a good week, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. look really delicious I love ginger ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just used my ice cream maker for the first time this season! I've never even had ginger ice cream, but is sounds so refreshing. Now that the ice cream maker is dusted off and ready, I'll have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade ice cream is the best...and we should definitely take advantage of these last few summer days to enjoy it. This ginger ice cream sounds particularly refreshing. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds absolutely scrumptious! Send me a sample over right quick, will you please? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could pack it in ice and bring it right over to share with you.

      B

      Delete
  15. Welp. We all know how good ginger is for you, so then we can eat a bit more right!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never had ginger ice cream, but I'd sure like to try it... sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a delightful surprise with the ginger. I bet it taste incredible and so refreshing. The perfect palette cleanser!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, but that sounds wonderful. I'm always up for trying a new ice cream. I'll have to give it try. Thanks for the brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those old recipes - this sounds amazing and a must try! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, that all looks so wonderful!!! We have had a very mild summer here too. But now it is heating up. Triple digits today. Ugh!!!
    I am ready for Fall, and roasts in the oven!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.