The Baker has always harbored a desire to cultivate fruit trees. His initial endeavor was at our first house in La Jolla, California. The level (usable) part of our backyard was approximately 15' x 15'. The remainder dropped straight over the side of a canyon (it had a nice view). The apricot tree thrived but we moved before it bore fruit. Mesquite was the native plant to our next home on the high plains of Texas. Alas, that was before mesquite became quite popular in flavoring barbecue. He tried a fig tree in Charleston. Let's just say that Adam and Eve would have had trouble finding a wardrobe from that attempt. So, I was a bit skeptical when he announced that he had purchased two peach trees for our current midwestern eighth of an acre (or, maybe less). The trees went in, nestled on the west side of the garage. That was two years ago. This spring, I spied a cluster (does two make a cluster?) of blossoms on one tree and began to plan. I pulled all of the Weck canning jars together. They'd make the peach jam really special to tuck into Christmas baskets for friends. I made a special folder of peach recipes. Ina Gartin's peach cake was on top of the list.
Here is our harvest.
Looks a little like a peach snowman!
For the peach cake recipe, visit Mary at One Perfect Bite
ENJOY!
That's hilarious. And adorable.
ReplyDeleteVery very cute:)Freckles.
ReplyDeleteI'm chuckling with you! My fruit tree attempts... Let's see, the apple tree that was LOADED and the squirrels (and my dog) took every~single~one! The peach tree that was LOADED and they just all dropped off... The blueberries... well they never even started. So I am truly wishing you a bumper crop of peaches next year-one of us has to win:@)
ReplyDeleteI love it!!!
ReplyDeletexo Kris
Ah ... maybe next year. And peach cake sounds so good.
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Glenda
Phil's grandfather owned a peach orchard, and Phil worked on it. Peaches are delicate and hard to raise. They get many diseases and bugs, and need a lot of sprays and such to protect them from various things. So it is not your husband's fault.
ReplyDeleteSo cute!
ReplyDeleteAnd it looks as your little harvest man is actually playing: A: Fiddle, B: violin, or C: Viola (my fav.) :) Sweet!!! Thank you for sharing!
I'm smiling with you. We have two peach trees that we inherited that never produce anything edible.
ReplyDeleteWe are so close to peach country that now we rely on Georgia & SC peaches and forget all about those trees.
Sam
such a cute and SWEET little snowman. congrats on your fruit being born finally. i love mesquite smoked anything.
ReplyDeleteYea! Peaches! It is great feeling to go outside to your tree and reap the harvest.
ReplyDeleteVelva
I love this ... a fruit tree dream for each home. Sounds like a book or a movie actually. Each chapter is a new fruit tree.
ReplyDeleteSounds good but my peaches used to come from my neighbor and now come from Jewel. This summer they have the best peaches I've ever tasted! And I make a peach cake but now I want to try this one. It sounds really good.
ReplyDeleteWell it's a start .... maybe next year!
ReplyDeleteA polka dot peach! How cute is that!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's so cute. Sometimes the harvest can be different than what we're expecting. The peach cake sounds terrific.
ReplyDelete{{sigh}} maybe next year there will be enough for preserving. My dad planted fruit trees ever place we ever lived. We hardly ever lived in the spot long enough to enjoy a full crop, but I hope that the folks that followed us did. ;) Maybe the same is true for The Baker's footsteps.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be there for the F-Bread dinner party. I know it will be fabulous. blessings ~ tanna
Maybe next year :)
ReplyDeleteOh good for you! fingers crossed for next year!!
ReplyDeleteMary x
Oh, so sad. Our neighbor, here in GA, planted a stick of a peach tree and we laughed BUT she has had quite a few nice size peaches! Thanks for the bdy wishes.
ReplyDeletehahhhaaaa....you are so cute and you should write a book about your tree experiences...so funny. Maybe next year the peach crop will be larger.
ReplyDelete