Friday, September 20, 2013

End of Summer Tomato Soup

"Come said the wind 
To the leaves one day,
Come o'er the meadows and we will play.
Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
For summer is gone
And the days grow cold."
A child's song from the 1880s

Today is the last day of summer.  Shadows already grow longer.  A few trees are beginning to don their fall wardrobe.  Asters and mums are showing off in the neighborhood.  "Ready to Pick" signs are displayed at local orchards.  Even though it means saying goodbye to fresh tomatoes, I welcome the autumnal equinox with soup pot on the stove and rake in hand.  Bring on the fallen leaves!

It was cool enough by suppertime for us to enjoy this tasty soup yesterday.  I made a triple batch and stashed two meals in the freezer (before adding the cream).  I hope you'll give this recipe a try.

Happy autumn to all of you!



End of Summer Tomato Soup from Friends and Family Cookbook and me

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp dried basil
3 large tomatoes, peeled (seeded if you like) and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half (it is the beginning of fall--celebrate!  or use milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh basil for topping

1.  In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil.  Add the carrots, celery and onion, stirring often until softened--about ten minutes.  Add the garlic and basil and cook another minute.  Add the tomatoes and the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, loosely covered with a lid, for another 25 minutes.
2.  Puree the soup in the saucepan using an immersion blender (a food processor works too).
3.  Return to the heat and stir in the half and half.
3.  Ladle into warm bowls and top with fresh basil.

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. the only signs we have here are the days are shorter and shorter... Jake likes to play ball at 6:30 and now it is 7:10 and getting later every day... the only way we know it is fall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, we are still too hot for me to think of soup... but, there is rain today and maybe a cooling down from the high 90s we've had this week. The days are getting shorter though. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. The carrots would add a sweet note to this end of summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same sightings here..even the sun changes the whole feeling of our homes now..

    Much more shde sun is so low..until the leaves fall..everything feels cooler..
    I miss the warmth already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful soup and I think I need to find a 'pick your own' orchard too! Happy Fall:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fall -- wish I could freeze it. But then it wouldn't be so special, would it? Your soup is the perfect welcome to my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum. But where's the grilled cheese sandwich? And what a neat old verse from two centuries ago! Have a nice weekend in your fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kitchen table is flowing over with Roma tomatoes right now. I'm going to make your soup to go with a shrimp salad for dinner tonight. Thanks for the idea. I always find figuring out what to cook each evening the hardest part of cooking each evening.
    On another food subject, Bonnie - Scott & I were planning to eat at one of your favorite restaurants - West Town Tavern; evidently it's closed. Do you know what happened to it?
    Sue Schenone

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually use fat free half and half and really can't tell the difference.

    Great tip on freezing it before adding the cream though - enjoy your weekend - should be sunny and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love transitional soups such as this. How fun that you still have basil to remind you of summer as you step into fall.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had tomato soup last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always like a good poem with my soup, and your soup looks good too! I'm half embarrassed to say I've never made tomato soup from scratch, but will now with this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to the Fall season!
    I am not much a fan of this soup but
    it sounds good and Mr. Ken would eat it.

    Enjoy the new season!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall is my favorite season and I'm so happy to see its arrival. My tomato plants are still producing and I have enough for a pot of this lovely soup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall is my favorite season and I'm so happy to see its arrival. My tomato plants are still producing and I have enough for a pot of this lovely soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fall is my favorite season and I'm so happy to see its arrival. My tomato plants are still producing and I have enough for a pot of this lovely soup.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.