Here's the recipe for the soup. The hardest part is cutting the squash in half which is usually done by The Baker. Oliver is no help here since he doesn't have opposable thumbs.
ACORN SQUASH SOUP
(Inspiration from Guy Fieri/Tweaking by Me)
3 acorn squash, halved
6 large shallots peeled, 3 left whole and 3 thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
4 cups chicken stock
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup half and half
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Cut a flat spot on each half so they will sit flat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In three of the halves, place a whole shallot. In the other three halves, place a clove of garlic. Drizzle all with one tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until very tender and starting to caramelize--about one hour. Allow to cool.
In a large, heavy pan heat one tablespoon of the olive oil and the butter. Add the raw diced shallots and saute until they start to caramelize. Deglaze the pan with one cup of the stock. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the squash, roasted shallots and roasted garlic. Stir in the remainder of the chicken stock and the cayenne pepper and simmer for twenty minutes.
Stir in the half and half and the Worcestershire sauce. Puree the soup with a handheld blender or in a food processor.
glad to hear Oliver is well cared for.. Jake and Baby love green beans and broccoli and cooked carrots but not raw ones.
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying all your soup recipes and thankful our weather is a bit cooler so we can enjoy soups (not that we can't in hot weather ...) A lovely color too.
ReplyDeleteI love autumn vegetables for making soup. If the weather stays pretty we have another month left to visit the Farmer's Market.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE acorn squash and butternut squash, but would use them a whole lot more if they were easier to break into! LOL! Glad you have a handy helper! This sounds delicious! blessings ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteThis looks awesome, I wish I could taste it, especially since I have never tasted squash. Yours would be the only to try first! I also wish I was as witty as you, a Monday laugh is a hard thing to come by, but you gave me one. I have never seen soup this divine color, which is just gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that you haven't eaten squash!! You must give them a try.
DeleteBonnie, you are so right about cutting the squash! Gives me the jitters when I even think about it. Someone told me to take a big knife and pound it in with a hammer...that's how I do it now, unless I can find someone in the produce dept to do it for me. :)
ReplyDeleteBonnie, you are so right about cutting the squash! Gives me the jitters when I even think about it. Someone told me to take a big knife and pound it in with a hammer...that's how I do it now, unless I can find someone in the produce dept to do it for me. :)
ReplyDeleteI never thought of asking someone in produce to cut them. I'll give it a try.
DeleteThis one sounds flavorful..give me shallots and give me garlic :) I like the add.of Worcestershire!(Amazingly I think I can spell it but I know for a fact I can't pronounce it.. ..
ReplyDeleteI can't cut them for the life of me:(
We have taken a rubber mallet to the knife..
It actually puts me in a bad mood.. LOL.
Fall seasonal soups are terrific and yours sounds wonderful!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great soup! Glad Oliver is keeping you company while The Baker is out of town:@)
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful! I can't wait for soup weather to arrive!!!
ReplyDeletexo Kris
Great looking soup Bonnie. I agree. The hardest part is cutting the squash. That's what husbands with big knives are for :)
ReplyDeleteLove a good squash soup! Happy Fall :)
ReplyDeleteSoup is my wintertime mainstay and I make a big batch every weekend and freeze it for lunches. This one looks like just the kind of comfort food I need in the middle of my hectic days! The leaves in the valley should be beautiful for your visit- enjoy! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous recipe! Perfect for fall.
ReplyDeleteit looks beautiful! i love the color and the ease of this soup.
ReplyDeleteSounds easy and so delicious.
ReplyDeleteWe do love good soups around Sweet Nothings.
xo
What a lovely soup, Bonnie.I use an electric knife to cut squash. That is actually the only thing I use it for because I hate the racket it makes. It does,however, do the job. I hope you have great plans for your "bakerless" week. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteThissoup sounds terrific, Bonnie. Warm and spicy--the way I like it! I sometimes buy butternut squash all peeled and cut up in Costco--it is such a time saver! I wish they would also sell acorn squash that way.
ReplyDeleteLovely soup. It's color looks beautiful...
ReplyDeleteWink..too bad Oliver was not human to cut that squash. I am sure he is good company though.
ReplyDelete