The tomato challenge is on! As summer's end is in sight, it feels imperative to eat as many fresh-from-the-vine tomatoes as possible. The realization that it will be many, many months before red, purple, orange, yellow and green tomatoes decorate the kitchen windowsills sets in. Soon the ceramic colanders holding the brightly varied colors of heirloom cherry tomatoes will be put to other uses.
I'd seen recipes for tomato tarts. Ina and Martha both have featured delicious ones. My tartlet takes a bit from both and probably others. I served it as a first course for dinner. It would be perfect as a light lunch.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Tartlet from Ina, Martha and Me
For Two:
1/2 package of puff pastry thawed according to package directions
Feta cheese, about 2/3 cup, crumbled
Cherry tomatoes--about twelve--halved
Olive oil
Fresh basil
1. On a lightly floured board, roll the pastry as close to an 11-inch square as possible. Don't fret if it isn't perfect. Rustic is the new perfect in this case.
2. Using a 6-inch saucer, or other round object, cut out two circles.
3. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from refrigerator and, with a sharp knife, make a line 1/4 inch in (don't cut all the way through the pastry) all around each pastry. Then use a fork to prick the pastry all around just inside the line.
6. Sprinkle the feta cheese on the pastry staying inside the lines.
7. Refrigerate while preheating the oven to 425 and cutting the tomatoes in half.
9. When the oven is ready, remove the pastry from the refrigerator and distribute the tomatoes over.
Drizzle with a little olive oil.
10. Bake 20-25 minutes.
11. Cool slightly and sprinkle with fresh basil.
ENJOY!
This is so pretty! And I have no doubt delicious. What a nice way to celebrate the last of your tomatoes!
ReplyDeleteThat sure does look good! I have a lot of nice heirloom tomatoes this summer. I will miss them!!
ReplyDeletexo Kris
never heard of a tartlet but i want one.
ReplyDeleteI wish I liked tomatoes because that looks amazing, although I am a goat cheese girl, so I would sub that for the feta. Enjoy this fall day!
ReplyDeleteBiz: Feta is a goat cheese.
DeleteSounds wonderful, Bonnie. I always love to find new things involving fresh summer tomatoes... Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks also for telling me about your non-barking dog. I told George that the next dog we get will be a Dalmatian....
Hugs,
Betsy
Oh, yum... I do love a good tomato tart... A wonderful way to end the season. blessings ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Bonnie! Great tartlet, perfect size! But sad, sad about the end of tomato season. :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks divine and I'm sure that those flavors make for wonderful eating. Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteIt is pretty:) I like feta even better than goat cheese don't know why..
ReplyDeleteGreat collaboration between you..Ina and Martha..
:)
Yum! I have a couple more tomatoes on the counter and plan on enjoying every last one:@)
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful and what I like about it is it could be either very fancy or rustic, depending on what you serve with it and how the table is set.
ReplyDeleteI love this récipe look delicious Bonnie!!
ReplyDeleteSo, so pretty Bonnie and a great way to accent the lovely heirloom tomatoes. Boy am I going to miss summer tomatoes...
ReplyDeleteSam
I had to smile when reading your post. I think we are all going to miss our bounty of heirloom tomatoes as the season comes to an end. Your tartlets sound delicious.
ReplyDeleteThat looks so good.
ReplyDelete