Monday, September 16, 2013

Heirloom Cherry Tomato Tartlet

The tomato challenge is on!  As summer's end is in sight, it feels imperative to eat as many fresh-from-the-vine tomatoes as possible.  The realization that it will be many, many months before red, purple, orange, yellow and green tomatoes decorate the kitchen windowsills sets in.  Soon the ceramic colanders holding the brightly varied colors of heirloom cherry tomatoes will be put to other uses.  

I'd seen recipes for tomato tarts.  Ina and Martha both have featured delicious ones.  My tartlet takes a bit from both and probably others.  I served it as a first course for dinner.  It would be perfect as a light lunch.  


Heirloom Cherry Tomato Tartlet from Ina, Martha and Me

For Two:

1/2 package of puff pastry thawed according to package directions
Feta cheese, about 2/3 cup, crumbled
Cherry tomatoes--about twelve--halved
Olive oil
Fresh basil

1.  On a lightly floured board, roll the pastry as close to an 11-inch square as possible.  Don't fret if it isn't perfect.  Rustic is the new perfect in this case.
2.  Using a 6-inch saucer, or other round object, cut out two circles.
3.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
4.  Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
5.  Remove from refrigerator and, with a sharp knife, make a line 1/4 inch in (don't cut all the way through the pastry) all around each pastry.  Then use a fork to prick the pastry all around just inside the line.
6.  Sprinkle the feta cheese on the pastry staying inside the lines.
7.  Refrigerate while preheating the oven to 425 and cutting the tomatoes in half.
9.  When the oven is ready, remove the pastry from the refrigerator and distribute the tomatoes over.
Drizzle with a little olive oil.
10.  Bake 20-25 minutes.
11.  Cool slightly and sprinkle with fresh basil.

ENJOY!
    



16 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! And I have no doubt delicious. What a nice way to celebrate the last of your tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure does look good! I have a lot of nice heirloom tomatoes this summer. I will miss them!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of a tartlet but i want one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I liked tomatoes because that looks amazing, although I am a goat cheese girl, so I would sub that for the feta. Enjoy this fall day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful, Bonnie. I always love to find new things involving fresh summer tomatoes... Thanks!

    Thanks also for telling me about your non-barking dog. I told George that the next dog we get will be a Dalmatian....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum... I do love a good tomato tart... A wonderful way to end the season. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Bonnie! Great tartlet, perfect size! But sad, sad about the end of tomato season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks divine and I'm sure that those flavors make for wonderful eating. Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is pretty:) I like feta even better than goat cheese don't know why..
    Great collaboration between you..Ina and Martha..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I have a couple more tomatoes on the counter and plan on enjoying every last one:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful and what I like about it is it could be either very fancy or rustic, depending on what you serve with it and how the table is set.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this récipe look delicious Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so pretty Bonnie and a great way to accent the lovely heirloom tomatoes. Boy am I going to miss summer tomatoes...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to smile when reading your post. I think we are all going to miss our bounty of heirloom tomatoes as the season comes to an end. Your tartlets sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.