Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pork Fried Rice



This stir fried rice is the result of a less-than-stellar roasted pork tenderloin.  In fact, the roast was so tasteless, The Baker complimented me on the rice only!!  I marinated the roast in plum sauce which did nothing to enhance it.  Needless to say, that recipe is now in the trash bin.  However, I had to find a use for the leftover pork and the rice.  This time, the whole meal got a compliment.

My kitchen does not contain a wok.  I had one--a gift from a friend when I was single, living and working in Washington D.C..  There wasn't much cooking going on in my life at the time.  I relegated that lovely, heavy wok to the top of my pinkish metal kitchen cabinets and forgot about it.  Forgot about it until the day it worked its way to a precarious position on the cabinet top.  Opening the cabinet door was enough to bring it crashing down on my head!!  Once the stars cleared, I took that wok down the hall to the trash room and tossed it nine floors down the chute to wherever trash went at the time.

Years passed.  Marriage.  Children.  Then a desire to branch out a bit in the kitchen.  I acquired a Peking pan.  I think it does as well as a wok and the flat bottom assures storage stability.  However, I never store it above my head!

Stir frys are so easy.  You can mix and match ingredients and have them all ready to go for a fast meal.




Pork Fried Rice

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cooked, cubed pork
1 medium onion in small dice (I also used some shallots because I had them)
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 cup frozen green peas
2 eggs, well beaten
3 cups cold cooked long-grain brown rice, grains separated
2 scallions, green tops only, thinly sliced on the bias

1.  Heat a large wok or heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat.  Add 1 Tbsp of the oil.  Add the pork and cook, stirring until lightly browned.  Add the onions to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for a minute or so then add the garlic and stir.  Add the carrots and cook for two minutes, stirring well.  Add the peas and cook another two minutes.  Remove all to a large bowl.
2.  Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan.  When it is hot, quickly pour in the eggs.  When the eggs are set on the bottom, turn with a spatula and cook for another minute or so.  Remove to a platter and break them apart into smallish pieces.
3.  Add the rest of the oil to the pan.  While it is heating, make sure the rice grains are nice and loose.  Add to the pan and break up any clumps, stirring to coat the rice with the oil.  Let the rice cook undisturbed until it gets slightly crispy.  This takes 2 to 3 minutes.
4.  Add the pork, vegetables and eggs back to the rice.  Stir and heat through for another minute.
5.  Top with the scallions.

ENJOY!

16 comments:

  1. Don't you hate that! At least you were able to salvage the pork with this tasty stir fry! Looks so pretty too!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH.. i bet you still remember that.. i have threatened to throw things in the deep in of the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yipes... Bet that felt good!!! NOT! ha.... We have a wok --but it is safely INSIDE a cabinet.... ha

    Thanks for the Pork Fried Rice recipe. Looks delicious. Reminded me of the times (Years ago) when we lived near a tiny Chinese Restaurant. We'd go by there and get Shrimp Fried Rice about once a week. It was SO good --and they always sold it to us at a great price...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dish:)I add sesame oil to this too LOL...I just love that stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. And since I will not have a pork roast, I am thinking I can use ANY meat! I will definitely try it!! In the meantime, what is a Peking pan, is it between a wok and a skillet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Peking pan has a flat bottom and a work has a conical bottom. The sides of the Peking pan are sloped like a wok so it isn't like a skillet. A skillet would do just fine though.

      Delete
  6. What a great way to use left-over pork. We couldn't live without our wok, which is probably over 30 years old. Plus our neat long handled shovel.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a few disasters when trying new recipes! So glad you were able to use some of the roast with the fried rice - which I love! :)
    Now you really painted a picture about the wok falling on your tiny head. Ouch! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fried rice ... so good with any bit of left over meat, and yours looks delicious,Bonnie.

    I am a little lazy. I scoot a bit of the rice to the middle and scramble the eggs without removing the rice.

    We got three woks for wedding presents. (the 70's)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it hen a dish can be turned around into something amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! I haven't made fried rice in a long time and it's one of my favorites:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OUCH! Looks like your flat-bottomed pan does a fine job of cooking AND not falling out on your head (though keeping it below head level sounds like a wise plan). This recipe sounds delicious, Bonnie. And, I am a big fan of using leftovers in a new way. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to make fried rice... a few leftovers and you have a delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pork fried rice_ we just had that for lunch_ a favorite of ours.

    PS: Just discovered your blog while visiting my friends, Betsy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!! Without the onions though - and FYI, America's Test Kitchens don't recommend a wok for stir fry or fried rice - just a cast iron skillet!

    Enjoy the cool weather this weekend Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This loos so delicious, Bonnie! I haven't made a stir fry in ages. I made pork chops tonight and now I'm thinking the leftovers can be made into this delicious recipe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.