Monday, September 2, 2013

Not Simply Grilled Cheese

It's Labor Day!  For many, it is the last day of summer.  Time to put the grill away.  We officially have another nineteen days of summer.  This is not something my mother taught me!  No, she would not don a pair of white shoes after Labor Day.  In fact, as well as my memory serves me, she pulled out our "transitional" wardrobes that day.  I don't even have a "transitional" wardrobe!  You might see me at the supermarket in white sneakers shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.  

Here's a recipe that can also be "grilled" year around.  The Baker asked if I'd like a grown-up grilled cheese sandwich for supper after a busy day.  Of course!  He found his inspiration in Cook's Illustrated and pared it down for us.  



Grilled Cheese Sandwiches inspired by a recipe from Cook's Illustrated

4 ounces aged (not over five years) sharp cheddar cut into fairly small chunks and at room temperature.
1 ounce ripe Brie with rind removed
1 Tbsp dry white wine
2 tsp finely minced shallot
3 Tbsp fig jam, warmed
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
4 slices good rye bread (or your choice)

1.  Process the cheddar, Brie and wine in food processor to a smooth paste, about 30 seconds.  Add the shallot and scrape down the sides of the bowl, pulse several times to combine.
2.  Combine the butter and the mustard and spread evenly over one side of each slice of bread.  Spread the cheese mixture on the unbuttered side of two of the slices and carefully spoon the melted fig jam on top of the cheese mixture.  Top with the other two slices, buttered side up.  You end up with the mustard buttered sides out.
3.  Preheat a large, nonstick skillet.  Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until both sides are crispy and golden brown.  Remove and let stand a couple minutes before slicing and enjoying.
4.  NOTE:  Mother would have never served grilled cheese without tomato soup!

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. definitely not my mothers grilled cheese, i do remember the no white shoes and no white clothes either after labor day. so glad all that has changed. no hats or dresses required to go to church either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is my idea of a good grilled cheese. And yes, tomato soup as well.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say definitely not my mother's grilled cheese, but my mother never made grilled cheese. Love adding the brie, the fig jam, the shallot, and of course the wine. Sounds very French to me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, The grilled cheese sounds yummy. I do love a good grilled cheese sandwich. We southerners follow some of those same traditions you speak of. Linen and white are put away until Easter. Things, of course, have relaxed, but I will probably be putting away the linen. It is just engrained. I haven't worn white shoes is a very long time. Happy September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this would make me very very very happy:))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good!
    I am one of those that puts her white pants etc..away.. usually always labor day weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like brie cheese, but everything else about this sounds delicious.

    And I'm with your mom---tomato soup is a must with grilled cheese. Actually, such a meal is and will always be one of my favorite memories of childhood...along with plenty of saltine crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about that sandwich - and yes, always with tomato soup!

    Enjoy your day - the temps are gorgeous! Did you get pummeled with rain last night? It was so stormy in the far NW suburbs last night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that certainly is a grown-up grilled cheese sandwich! It sounds great! White's not a good color for me... too sloppy in the kitchen:@) So I don't have any clothes to put away yet. Happy Labor Day, it's a wet one in Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is not my mothers grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, grilled cheese does go with tomato soup! And my husband had one the other day at a restaurant with crab in it. Wow it was good. Yours also looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by to visit on my new blog today! Grill cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are one of my all time favorites. This grilled cheese recipe sounds divine.

    I tried a grill cheese recently that had a bit of goat cheese in the cheese filling and I've been wanting to mess around with figuring out how to re-create that one.

    Happy Labor Day and thank you for reminding us all...IT'S STILL SUMMER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, sounds like a delicious grown up version of grilled cheese!! Yea, for The Baker! We had BLTs last night with sea salt bacon, arugula and FRESH tomatoes... {sigh} the simple pleasures... gotta love 'em! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fancy enough to make for a party with a salad or some good soup. Same thing with my mom and the clothes and white shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds amazing. I plan on enjoying all the days. Not ready for fall yet.

    We are heading to the Cubs game tomorrow.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, sweetie girl, I couldn't decided what to have for a late supper...now I know.
    Mine won't be as fancy....but ANY grilled cheese is gooood. My favorite sandwich.

    As for Johnny...a friend blogger suggested I put that picture of MANY FACES OF JOHNNY DEPP on my fridge door....he's just sooo handsome but Mr. Sweet doesn't want to look at him as often as I do. hahhaa
    Another says she has a huge poster of JD on the closet door in her guest room....hahhaa...gotta love it. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grilled cheese sandwiches, along with pizza, might be my favorite food. This recipe sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like this would make a wonderful lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really must start using brie in my grilled cheese. It is such a great idea and yet I never think to do it:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love melted brie on my sandwiches, not sure why I have never used it alone to make grilled cheese. Great idea xo

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.