Thursday, September 5, 2013

Late Summer Luncheon and Postmodern Literature

My BFFs came for lunch last week.  We get together at least once a month and talk on the phone whenever the need or mood strikes us.  We've shared joys and concerns for over twenty-five years now.  Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter brunches and dinners are most often shared.  We are tradition!  As usual, I digress.  Moving on...



It was too hot to be out on the porch so I brought the garden to the table.


I wanted to show off my topiaries that I've managed to keep alive for a while now.  The "eldest" is the little wreath (needing trimming) between the roses.  It was a birthday present back in January.  I'm hoping it will happily (and greenly) be around next January.


I prepared us a chef's salad for lunch.  


Accompanied by chilled citrus water.


A lemon sponge for dessert.


We are not a book group.  We are avid readers.  Sometime ago, Diana encouraged us to read Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  Alas, it fell off my radar until my Muse Book Club chose it for our July read.  I then lent my copy to Jane.  The three of us (as well as my book group) found it to be witty and poignant and a very good read.  Jane, the last to read it, mentioned that it was a good example of postmodern literature.  She's the English major.  I mentioned that I was familiar with the term but not sure what it meant.  I suggested we discuss the novel and its place in literature over lunch.  Jane came prepared to discuss postmodern literature as well.  From Tristram Shandy to The French Lieutenant's Woman, we three enjoyed a learning, literary luncheon.  

Then we discussed Honey Boo Boo.


21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun afternoon! The citrus water is beautiful and I'm afraid I'm more familiar with Honey Boo Boo than fine literature:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you brought the outdoors in...especially your lovely topiaries. Sounds like a very pleasurable afternoon with good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And not Miley Cyrus?Just Honey Boo Boo?
    Seems she was in on many converstaions for her 1 moment of infamous fame~
    I am so attached to your topiaries:)
    Thanks for the book recommendation also...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like good friends to share your time with. I wrote down the name of the book. I may get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely that you have regular get-togethers with special friends. I need to make more of an effort to do that myself.

    Your topiaries are so pretty, as are all your flowers. I have a silk topiary that my daughter made for me several years ago. It's in a teacup, which is just perfect for me.

    A discussion of Honey Boo Boo probably made y'all want to lose your lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful luncheon and discussion it must have been. I love times like that....I miss academia now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your topiaries and all the pretty flowers. Sounds like you had a great time with your friends and good food!

    I have "Beautiful Ruins" on my Kindle--only read a little of it and moved on to another book I had been waiting for. After reading this, I'll go back and finish it. And then checking out the term "postmodern literature."

    Nothing like a good luncheon with a good discussion, but I draw the line at Honey Boo Boo! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, your last comment. My guess is a lot of current day literature is post modern unless the author is ancient. What a great tradition you all have, and to add a book discussion must have sweetened it even more. Now I'm thinking of bringing a topiary for a tea I'm having tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to hear you're keeping it real :-). Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last line of this post? Priceless! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my book club friends recommended Beautiful Ruins to me, too. Sounds like it's worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea bringing the garden indoors, they all look good to me.. as does that citrus water. so beautiful and delish to...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, I was so into your lunch, decorations, wondering what postmodern lit is, thinking of your enjoyment of time with friends ... I just was not expecting Honey Boo Boo. I am still laughing.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, and what is Honey Boo Boo and mom doing these days ? I read '"Beautiful Ruins" last summer, and enjoyed it. Don't you love chatting about books? My book group is meeting tonight to pick out our books for the new season. Have a good evening, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! Oh, Bonnie. The Honey Boo Boo part brought out some chuckling!! I cannot even start to watch that! LOL!

    Your topiaries are so wonderful!! I had one that I didn't kill for a long time... then, I did. Seeing yours makes me really want to try again. They always make me happy when I see them.

    You are a blessed woman with these friendships, but you know that. ;) hugs ~ t.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these pictures Bonnie and lemon sponge look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha ha, yes you keep me on my toes!!! Each and everything is so special and beautiful! Your plants are divine, the lovely elegant pitcher, and the beautiful blue mini crocks. I get the idea that you would make anyone who walks through your door feel pampered. Even Honey herself...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious food, wonderful friends and great discussion of books -- I can't imagine many things better. I read "Beautiful Ruins" and just couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to give it another whirl since so many people loved it, especially those whose opinions I generally share or respect. Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your BFF luncheon sounds wonderful . . . and garden inside when it is dreadfully hot outside sounds lovely too.

    And great literature much better than Honey Boo Boo . . . (Did you answer the question . . . "Why?")

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to have to find a copy of Brilliant Ruins, sounds very enjoyable Bonnie! Love the topiaries and the citrus water for your get-together. Maybe someday when I retire, I can get a book club going . . . no one wants to come over to my house and read marketing and business textbooks! LOL!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good friends, good conversations books,,,,it is all good! Even when Honey Boo-Boo comes up in the conversation (laugh).

    Your topiaries are really nice too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.