Thursday, September 26, 2013

Return of The Baker/Smoked Trout Mousse

The Baker is on his way home.  According to Lot's flight status, the plane departed Warsaw on time for the nine + hour flight to Chicago.  Just enough time to make a little late evening snack and chill a bottle of wine.  I plan to debrief him over fresh apple cake and coffee (yes, we consume caffeine late).  Oliver  plans to do a lot of tail wagging and happy yipping.

This recipe is from a cookbook called Carry-Out Cuisine.  I first enjoyed it long ago when visiting friends in Bethesda.  I do recall there was wine involved then too!  My friend found a copy of the cookbook for me.  It contains recipes from America's finest gourmet food shops.  The book is out of print but worth watching for at AAUW and library book sales.  Alas, a number of the restaurants are no longer around but their recipes are. 

Now I'm off to chill that wine! 



Smoked Trout Mousse


1 pound smoked rainbow trout
1 tbsp chopped scallions
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream

Remove the skin from the rainbow trout (if you can't find rainbow trout, any smoked trout will do) and puree it in a food processor along with the scallions and the seasonings.

Dissolve the gelatin in the cream and heat to just warm to ensure that the gelatin is dissolved and not grainy. Add the gelatin/cream mixture to the trout mixture and process for 5 to 6 seconds. Pour into a serving bowl and chill for at least 5 hours before serving.

Serve with sliced and toasted French bread or crackers.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. I think it's cool you remember there was wine involved in Bethesda! :-) Your mousse sounds delicious and it must be creamy smooth and addictive with all the cream. Great that the Baker will be home tonight and I'm sure Oliver would be ecstatic if he knew! Enjoy your cake and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know he will be glad to get home to you, trout and wine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds divine! I know you will enjoy your late night snacks, and time together!!! We have been looking at a new bbq that is a hybrid. You can use either coals, gas, or the smoker, or all three! We are wanting to smoke some of the trout Greg catches in Big Bear Lake! This recipe will be filed for later!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great homecoming he will have!!! Warsaw? Now I am very curious what he was doing there, some kind of secret mission? I love how you said you will debrief him!! You do have a way with words. We just took Ella fishing before I hurt my foot and she caught five rainbow trout. I had not known that once they are caught you cannot throw them back because they will die anyway. They are very pretty in the sun..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like he'll have a nice greeting-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like great cocktail food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tatsed one..or two but never made..must rectify:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We smoke some of the trout we catch and I sometimes use it to make smoked trout cakes, but this is a good idea for late afternoon with a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Bonnie. Thank you so much for this recipe! We had smoked trout mousse in Myrtle Beach and I've been craving it ever since. Have a wonderful weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've eaten smoked trout out on several occasions, but have yet to make it a home. This sounds perfect and I love the pinch of nutmeg. I know you must be glad he's home. My husband traveled for many years during our marriage and homecomings are always special.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very strange, I wrote you a long comment and I just realized it never made it through. Anyway by now the baker must be home and you and Oliver must be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous treat to welcome the Baker home. Those long flights are hard on bodies over 21 :-).He'll appreciate the pampering. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is funny that I don't care for smoked fish except trout. I know I would love the mousse. You and Oliver must be happy to have the Baker home.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.