Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fall Salad with Pomegranates and Apples

"May the witch that's in your town
look you up and chase you 'round
with spooks and bats and owls unseen.
Here's luck to you on Halloween."
~ Unknown

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!


Another fall color popped up in the grocery store this week--pomegranate!  A bowlful decorates the kitchen at the moment, but they'll disappear over the next week or so.  I never ate pomegranates growing up.  My Aunt Peg had a tree growing in her garden.  Although she found the tree to be very nice, she said the fruit was ugly and "filled with seeds".  All that lovely fruit fell to the ground each year, uneaten.  I often wonder if the tree survives and if the family living in her home enjoy the fruit.

This salad has been a favorite of ours for a long time.  This year, the pomegranate was joined by Michigan apples that we "picked" from the Sawyer Market on our way home from Saugatuck.




Goat Cheese, Pomegranate and Apple Salad

Salad Greens
Vinaigrette 
6 ounces goat cheese, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
white of one egg, slightly beaten
Handful of pomegranate seeds
Handful of sugared walnuts 
1 medium Macintosh apple, thinly sliced

1.  For the dressing I did a simple vinaigrette formula of 1 cup good olive oil, 1/2 cup of vinegar (I actually had a lovely pomegranate vinegar but you can use a balsamic), 1/2 tsp sugar and salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk all together.  It will keep for a week or more refrigerated.
2.  Dip the cheese slices in the egg white then dredge all over in the bread crumbs.  Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
3.  On a large plate, arrange the salad greens, top with the apple slices and drizzle with the vinaigrette.  
4.  In a medium saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter until butter is melted.
5.  Saute the goat cheese slices until nicely browned on both sides, about three minutes per side.  Place on the salad greens and apples.  Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and walnuts.

Serves 2

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I've had pomegranate juice but maybe not the seeds. This looks like a delightful blend of flavors. You are such a good cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous color! Ma used to get one every year and we'd have fun picking at it, I haven't had a whole one since I was a kid. Happy Halloween:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen pomegranates in our market as well. Beautiful salad Bonnie. Happy Halloween.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love poms..I still find them fussy to deseed..no matter what i ahve tried..in water out of water..but once it's done..the arils keep in the fridge nicely..Salad looks wonderful Bonnie.

    I love the color poms impart too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute poem, i hope the witches here don't chase me round and round LOL... i know a woman who acts like a witch all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pomegranates always look beautiful especially in salads!! happy halloween Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The delicious flavors of fall. Lovely salad, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to try goat cheese on a salad for so long - this is beautiful! Hope you are well Bonnie - Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know pomegranate trees grew in this country! Guess I never thought of it before. I have never had one in my life, but I will say they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I must try this. I brought pomegranates home from California.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's my kind of salad! I actually buy my Pom seeds at Trader Joe's - totally worth the extra $$ not to have to seed a pomegranate myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure I've ever eaten pomegranates... I've always been picky about trying new things --but as I 'age'---I am more willing... But--trying to find 'special' foods at our stores here is hard.... I'll look!!!!! Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a nice fall salad to serve guests.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your salad sounds good, Bonnie! I haven't cooked with pomegranates a lot, and this will be a great recipe to try. Nice "witchy" poem!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.