Monday, November 4, 2013

Applesauce for the Freezer


Although apples are available year around, they seem to lose some flavor once they've been in cold storage and brought out.  Oh, we still eat them all summer long but I feel impelled to hoard some of that "just from the tree" deliciousness.  Our recent trip to Saugatuck took us past a great many apple orchards and we thought it might be fun to stop on the way back and, perhaps, pick a few.  Alas, it was too cold and damp.  Instead, we stopped at the Sawyer Market in Sawyer, Michigan and "picked" from their bins filled with a good variety of locally grown apples.

This simple recipe has been a favorite for years.  When I found the Ball freezing "jars", I knew they would serve well for the applesauce.  Eight ounce "jars" are just the right size for two.  I also do a few pint "jars".    





Applesauce

3 to 4 pounds of peeled, cored and quartered apples.
(I used a combination of McIntosh and Jonathan but any cooking apple will do.)
4 strips of lemon peel
Juice of one lemon
3" cinnamon stick
1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients into a large, heavy pot.  Stir to mix well.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peel.

Roughly mash with a potato masher.

Enjoy immediately or freeze.  Keeps frozen up to one year.

16 comments:

  1. Bonnie, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. I'm hardly able focus on my work now that November if finally here. Looking forward to great food!

    This applesauce looks amazing - and incredibly easy too.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Locally grown apples made into apple sauce sounds fantastic and how fun to have it in your freezer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did not know this could be frozen. and have never seen those jars. wish mother could have had those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great apple sauce to have on hand! I have some of those freezer jars and use them often-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a total delight to always have the homemade in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband loves applesauce ..truly..I will have to try this Bonnie..the containers are cute too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how things take you back, and this takes me right to my grandmother's house and her breakfast table. She would get applesauce out of the freezer and serve us each a portion in a small dessert bowl, and it would still be defrosting a bit in the bowl, and so delicious! What a treat you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondering if you recognized that shop in Roanoke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's the best way to "pick" apples! Your applesauce looks scrumptious, and something I'd love to have in my freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love homemade Apples/Applesauce... We had an apple tree in our yard in VA growing up--and Mom would make 'fried apples' for us for breakfast... OH--so delicious... It was almost as good as Mom's rhubarb...... YUM... Great memories.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I didn't make it to Spokane this fall, I miss helping my sister, Sue, make applesauce. She has two beautiful apple trees. How lovely to have this in your freezer for the middle of winter.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have made applesauce before but I didn't know i could freeze it! I do now and guess what I will be making here soon:)) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so nice to have applesauce in the middle of winter. I canned many, many jars this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful idea for fresh applesauce to have on hand. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.