Friday, October 11, 2013

Marcella Hazan's Pasta with Sausages, Cream and Tomato

Growing up in Virginia's Piedmont region gave me a slightly midwestern accent and a love for rolling valley meadows protected by mountains very similar to Italy's Piedmont.  It was Marcella Hazan who  gave me a love of Italian food.  Her Classic Italian Cooking joined my small collection of cookbooks more than thirty years ago.  Today, our favorite recipes are marked with notations and smudges.  The spine is broken and raveling.  I can hardly bear to replace it though.  Her recipes, for the most part, are very simple using ingredients that are easy to find almost anywhere.  Marcella's number one rule:  Fresh is best!

This recipe's page is one of the more heavily smudged in the book.  It goes together very quickly and will please family and guests.  Don't skimp on that heavy cream!  The dish serves four.  Surely one can occasionally enjoy one tablespoon of heavy cream!!




Pasta with Sausages, Cream and Tomato from Marcella's Italian Kitchen

1/2 pound mild pork sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chopped garlic
2/3 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 pound pasta (Marcella used cartwheels.  I used fettucini).  Prepared per pkg. directions.
Freshly grated Parmesan to pass at the table

1.  Put the oil and garlic in a skillet and turn heat to medium.  When the garlic begins to color, add the sliced sausages.  Turn them about until they are browned on both sides, about 10 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, stir, and cook at a gentle simmer for about 15 minutes.  Add the cream and increase the heat to medium high, stirring frequently for about two minutes.  Add salt and pepper.  Remove from heat and add the parsley.
2.  Stir the pasta into the sauce and pass the Parmesan.

ENJOY!


15 comments:

  1. I have that book:)
    This looks absolutely perfect.. Sausage.. tomatoes.. pasta ..cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lovely recipe with the added advantage .of being simple to make. I love her recipes and always love input from others regarding their favorites. Have a great weekend, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM----that makes me hungry (and I just ate my yogurt for breakfast)... I'd LOVE that dish. It's no wonder the page is smudged now... Heavy use means it is GOOD!!!! Our Bible is coming apart--but I guess that is also a good thing since it is heavily used and loved!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to ask: Is there an alternative to using heavy cream?????

    Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't get any better than this. And what's a little cream in our world full of food additives that we can't even pronounce and shouldn't eat? Have a great weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely recipe you are sharing with us. This lady was certainly a legend. Adding a bit of cream to a tomato sauce really does take it over the top. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Ken would be ALL over this!
    Yummy.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love this recipe. I think I will pass it on and he can make it for me. :)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh ingredients are indeed the elixir of great food! Just got back from your old stomping grounds, Bonnie. It is just beginning to turn beautiful fall colors!

    LOVED your soap jelly story. LOL! I can just imagine you little girls intently whittling on that soap. ;) Hope Oliver shares "his" bed this weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds magnificent...a must-try, for sure.
    and...I LUV your attitude about wine going with everything...hahhaaa...gotta love it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious. Italian soul food. Love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good. I was thinking I can't do this -- heavy cream -- so I appreciate your sensible encouragement. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also love Marcella's cookbook! I was very sad to hear of her passing away recently on her facebook page. She always shared such nice memories there.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.